Why is BB still clicking

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ajax Bay

Guru
i think i have narrowed mine down to the bearings, new ones just arrived just got to fit them.
It's always good when someone has posted asking for help with a problem; get's some good advice; tells us he's just about to fix it, then - disappears!
I think you (and @Cycleops ) are being a tad hasty. The OP has been around a fair while so 'drive by poster' he is not. And don't you think 13 days in August not posting is a sign they may have a life which does revolve around the urgent installation of bottom brackets. I'm confident Andy will be back to let us know the creak has gone; or not, in due course.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

Haha, i have been doing ongoing problems and checking out stuff, well, its been an interesting few weeks, well 4 weeks, i started with using loctite 641 to put between bearings and adapter so they don't walk out, and they were tighter than the other bearings i bought, and reassembled and was ok for a week and then started to click so sod this i loctited the crank, great for almost another week but had this other click and wasn't sure where it was coming from, so disassembled the headset and noticed the bung had creeped up a few mm so fixed that and reassembled.
The third week started ok but started to get a light clunking from BB and the headset clicking reappeared, so last weekend i re-tightened the headset and at one moment i was out head a slight crack noise, just the once mind, when the clunking started so i thought maybe i have broke the bond on the drive side as the clunking was at the 2 o'clock on the drive side with pressure, i took the crank arm off and got my wooden mallet and gave the crank a light tap, no movement so i gave a couple of harder hits still nothing so reassembled and have had a week free of no BB noise.
I even changed back wheel to see if that was a wheel problem but still happened and i changed chains as i use two chains that get rewaxed and changed every two weeks, im still getting headset clicking but more so when i get out of the saddle and seems to be a side to side clicking, i just cant get the sweet spot for tightening the headset, i will have to have another look at that later on, im off for a break next week so i might get one more ride in before i go and then see what happens then and see what happens when i swap the possible offending chain but i doubt it was that, i also had a every wheel revolution bump on one ride but couldn't see anything obvious until i got home and found the new tyre tread and base had separated causing a double bulge, never seen anything like it and to top it all i was going down a hill at 30mph and a massive bee hit me directly in my tonsil, didn't even touch the sides and then trying to stab me before i spat it out, i never had pain like it and lasted 2 days now i know why froomy has his head down, lol, so there you go, if i get any more problems or still continues i will be back.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
re the headset clicking - IF you've got cables crossing in front of the head tube, have you checked them as I suggested earlier? Sounds too simple but worth doing.

Otherwise IF the headtube has not been trimmed absolutely square it can be almost impossible to get the headset bearings adjusted correctly.

OP
OP
andsaw

andsaw

Done the cable check, i can get back home and i will do a stationary side to side torsion on the drops and it will click, i have wondered about if the bearing seat is square and how to remedy it with it being carbon i just wish they set a metal face in to the carbon and use one of those special cutters to square them off, but that's probably to much trouble for the makers.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
I had an annoying click for the last few weeks on my commute. It turned out last week it was my laces being slightly too long and catching each time I rotated the pedals lol
You are not the only one this has happened to.:blush:

I once had a similar annoying BB clicking issue, only it started when I got a new Alutra cycling jacket. So what did that have to do with bike clicking? Turns out it took me 2 or 3 rides to realise the irritating sound was my usually silent jersey stowed keys, now bobbing up and down at every pedal stroke in a new front pocket.

Doh! :banghead:

Top Bottom