Why is Brewdog IPA such a good beer?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
What are the characteristics that make it such a good beer? I'd love to home-brew something in the same style - well hopped, light, refreshing and about the right ABV for a couple of pints.

Is it more of a lager than a bitter?

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
It certainly is a very pleasant drink. The brewers do seems to have found the right balance with it.
Mrs B likes the fruitiness of Brewdog's Elvis Juice.

vickster

Legendary Member
Punk is pretty strong.

I like the Meantime PA and especially the Yakima Red (but it's very hard to get...Bill's do sell it though ^_^ )

AndyRM

XOXO
Yes sorry the Punk IPA.

Is it classed as IPA by virtue of the highish ABV?

Not really, some are quite low - Punk is only 5.6% for example - it's to do with the hops.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I'm in a minority clearly but I think it tastes really foul, all hops and nothing else, although that's very much the fashion right now isn't it. There's loads of beers that parrot this new American/ West Coast IPA style, all tasting of grapefruit peel and flowers, or something.
I'm also not keen on Brewdog's "tiny independent, just a couple of lads, sticking it to the man and the big brewers" schtick... it might have been true once but they're a very, very big, corporate brewery these days.

But to each his own, I'm glad if you like it!

AndyRM

XOXO
I'm also not keen on Brewdog's "tiny independent, just a couple of lads, sticking it to the man and the big brewers" schtick... it might have been true once but they're a very, very big, corporate brewery these days.

But to each his own, I'm glad if you like it!

Brewdog may be much bigger, but I think they've stayed pretty close to their punk roots. Majority owned by the guys who set it up, 25% publicly owned and only one private equity investor.

They've had a couple of sketchy incidents with smaller breweries, which haven't been cool though.

Top Bottom