Why is the turbo so uncomfortable?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I can happily ride for an hour plus out on the road but after about 30 mins on the turbo I start to get really uncomfortable...Is it because:
1. it's clamped in and there's no flex?
2. Less natural movement on and out of the saddle?
3. Just thinking about it more?
4. None of the above?
5. All of the above???

Any thoughts as I'd like to keep using it through the rubbish weather?

Thanks!

Hugh Manatee

Veteran
I think it is down to always being in the saddle. I did myself lasting damage and don't do it anymore.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
All of the above. And it's boring. Try to find something to elleviate the boredom, like listening to music, or watching a video. Apart from that, its a case of grin and bear it.

if you are concentrating on something else, it will take your mind off it. Hopefully

OP
OP
Easytigers

Easytigers

Guru
All of the above. And it's boring. Try to find something to elleviate the boredom, like listening to music, or watching a video. Apart from that, its a case of grin and bear it.

if you are concentrating on something else, it will take your mind off it. Hopefully
I completely misread this as 'Apart from that, its a case of gin and beer it' :cheers:

It's a cunning tactic!

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I completely misread this as 'Apart from that, its a case of gin and beer it' :cheers:

It's a cunning tactic!

Good idea. If you have enough, you won't feel anything. of course there is a high probability, if you have too much, you'll fall off and probably break something, like your leg. Then you wont have to worry about the pain from the turbo trainer :laugh:

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member
That's the one that does it for me. Normally, Im up and down out of the saddle a bit, but with the turbo Im static.

Have a look at that video I put up, nothing much static going on there.

ayceejay

Guru
30 minutes at a steady pace on a turbo is worse than being trapped in a lift with Justin Bieber you have to vary the pace with intervals or have a plan with some variety in it.

I think I would go with your point

2. Less natural movement on and out of the saddle?
I have had to spend the last 4 weeks using a turbo due to a broken hand and wrist. Normal riding no problem, on the turbo my butt really hurts. I found tipping the saddle down at the front a bit more than normal helped. Just finished 2 hrs endurance pace on the turbo and still have to stand every 15 mins or so for relief. For entertainment I use Sufferfest training plan and videos, keeps it interesting.

screenman

Legendary Member
On gym or spin bikes I can stand up, although I still don't like it.

On my bike, on my turbo, my sense of mechanical sympathy takes over and I just cant stand up and pedal - just don't like it.

On my turbo and any others I have used standing up is not a problem, I have not tried them all though.

DSC_0180.jpg

Top Bottom