Why is this place not fun...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

yello

Personally, I think repeat questions are acceptable in beginners.

There have been a few pedal/cleat/shoe questions of late but I wouldn't say its always that way. Equally, there seem to be a number of questions about 'which bike; defy, allez etc' but that's the way it goes. You're not duty bound to respond to every one, you could even exclude Beginners from your forum view.

I just figure we were all beginners once and thankful of advice. In fact, I still am.

Radius

SHREDDER
The thing about beginners posting repeat questions is that they so often know they're posting a repeat question, but they want the answers tailored to their exact problem, even if it's identical to someone else's. I've had that feeling.
Having said that, one of the reasons I went off the guitar forum I went on is because the same question was asked quite literally more than 10 times a day (huge forum, lots of teenagers), and it no longer felt like I was giving good advice, because of the number of times I'd said it. Anyone who'd been there more than a month would know all the answers already just by having read the posts from other users...

longers

Legendary Member
Radius said:
Having said that, one of the reasons I went off the guitar forum I went on is because the same question was asked quite literally more than 10 times a day (huge forum, lots of teenagers), and it no longer felt like I was giving good advice, because of the number of times I'd said it. Anyone who'd been there more than a month would know all the answers already just by having read the posts from other users...

Which plectrum should I use? :wacko:

I will join the jaded camp but freely admit that I'm on here too often.

therams

Joe24 said:
Yes, however, the same questions can come up more then once in a week. Mainly about pedals and shoes, and which is better.

Yes but remember a forum is like a club, if you don't encourage new members then it will eventually die.

If new users are slagged off and told to search, they wont come back. If they are encouraged and have questions answer, relationships are formed and members are retained.

Its like a playground at school, you grow up, get new friends, don't mix with the younger kids, but still look forward to break time:biggrin:

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
therams said:
Yes but remember a forum is like a club, if you don't encourage new members then it will eventually die.

If new users are slagged off and told to search, they wont come back. If they are encouraged and have questions answer, relationships are formed and members are retained.

Its like a playground at school, you grow up, get new friends, don't mix with the younger kids, but still look forward to break time:biggrin:

No, my idea was to have a big section about pedals, with links down to the relevant bits. Which pedals are better for what types of riding, then someone who rides with certain pedals puts a little bit about them.
Then, instead of asking, some knowledge would be gotten from that, and some can decide from that.
So, its not like searching, more of a fact sheet.

yello

Sounds like stickies. They do take time to write and develop but perhaps some of our more serious cyclists might want to invest the time?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Repeat is an issue, I know I've done plenty of the repeating, but a couple of points:-

reading old threads is just that, you're looking for current info
the search on here isn't that great, I've actually resorted to trawling through the Know How threads.
the internet can be a pain, I do a lot of reading up on planned purchases etc and the sheer wealth of varying opinion can be very confusing. As a newbie you don't know which sources are more reliable or trustworthy.
Try searching on helmets, brooks saddles, clipless pedals/flat pedals, frame materials, bars, tyres, hubs. Try then working out which bits will fit together. Trust me, starting with zero knowledge, this is a daunting thing. Then you have LBS's, in my limited experience far from the most reliable, or impartial, source of info. Admittedly this alters when you know a bit more and find one with a good mechanic you can trust.
Assuming you work through the mire and get the right bike you've then got to sort out clobber. I spent time just trying to find out how you were meant to wear some of the stuff. Then there's the newbie aversion to lycra and the ridiculous sizing that thinks a 38inch waist is 3XL and anything bigger is Billy Smart territory.

Of course there's the odd advantage to be gained from newbies, they're more likely to carry bits the 'old hands' never think they'll need..........Powerlinks maybe?

I actually agree with Joe that a managed reviews/opinions section would be better. All the input dated and encourage people to add their reviews to the list. When I've got pictures sorted I plan on adding all my stuff to the reviews bit.

Mr Pig

Well I have fun! Although I know what you mean, there are a few people who can be a total downer at times, but generally it's one of the best run and friendliest forums I've ever used.

Beardie

yenrod said:
I got an msg. from a bloke who was on the old c+ (Hi N'o :wacko:) & he was mentioning how it was fun and the likes...

OK, I think I've worked out most of this now. 'msg' is 'message', I got that fairly quickly, and 'the old c+' refers to the Cycling Plus website. However, the meaning of 'Hi N'o ;)' still eludes me.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that using esoteric jargon is another good way to put newcomers off, as the only people who can take part are those who know the lingo.

therams

Joe24 said:
No, my idea was to have a big section about pedals, with links down to the relevant bits. Which pedals are better for what types of riding, then someone who rides with certain pedals puts a little bit about them.
Then, instead of asking, some knowledge would be gotten from that, and some can decide from that.
So, its not like searching, more of a fact sheet.

But that misses the point, what keeps forums active is discussion. The beginners section is just that, discussion for beginners.

A knowledge base, like you suggest would be useful, but I don't think it would stop the same old questions being asked. Me asking about shoes, gets a response from people like me with its own unique answer. You asking about shoes might get a different result.

Like going to the pub for a pint with mates and watching TV by your self, different.

Noodley

I'll tell you what the problem is...people posting in the wrong boards on the forum! I have not mentioned it before :wacko: but if Cafe is supposed to be fun and someone starts posting guff about how bad it is cycling in the city, or mentions how fast they can ride a bike, or asks how to fix a broken bottom bracket, etc then it ain't gonna be much bloody fun it? :wacko:

So keep the serious stuff in the right places and keep the Cafe a fun place to be.

A bit of 'heavy handed' moderation may be required, but rather that than the continued pollution of the fun bit of the forum by those wanting lots of attention for their post rather than the potentially smaller attention but more informed responses in other boards.

That's better - I've been bottling that up :laugh::laugh::smile:

Wigsie

Nincompoop
Noodley said:
I have not mentioned it before :wacko: but if Cafe is supposed to be fun and someone starts posting guff about how bad it is cycling in the city, or mentions how fast they can ride a bike, or asks how to fix a broken bottom bracket, etc then it ain't gonna be much bloody fun it? :laugh:

I agree, also if your in a cafe and someone says something that bores you then you go and talk to someone else. Dont bring the mood down and be negative if your so awesome and clever and have seen it/done it all before!

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
Noodley said:
I'll tell you what the problem is...people posting in the wrong boards on the forum! I have not mentioned it before :wacko: but if Cafe is supposed to be fun and someone starts posting guff about how bad it is cycling in the city, or mentions how fast they can ride a bike, or asks how to fix a broken bottom bracket, etc then it ain't gonna be much bloody fun it? :wacko:

So keep the serious stuff in the right places and keep the Cafe a fun place to be.

A bit of 'heavy handed' moderation may be required, but rather that than the continued pollution of the fun bit of the forum by those wanting lots of attention for their post rather than the potentially smaller attention but more informed responses in other boards.

That's better - I've been bottling that up :smile::laugh::wacko:

This is not your cafe Noodley, so piss off:angry:
:laugh::laugh:

Top Bottom