Why no bonk when running?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
There may be but I never have experienced it, in fact quite the opposite.

Running on an empty'ish stomach is preferable to a full one and any hunger I feel before I set off is suppressed when I begin running and stays suppressed for a while after I've finished.

Do the same thing on a bike and I guarantee I will bonk at some point and hunger pangs are guaranteed too.

Why, is my question?

amaferanga

Veteran
Do you often run for longer than 1.5 - 2 hours? That's roughly how long it takes to deplete your stored glycogen and therefore properly bonk.

OP
OP
C

Crackle

Do you often run for longer than 1.5 - 2 hours? That's roughly how long it takes to deplete your stored glycogen and therefore properly bonk.

I've bonked on the bike before that. Perhaps it's not true bonking, though the symptoms are very similar, weak, dizzy, empty, whatever it is, I've never experienced it running but point taken, it's probably not bonking and no I don't run for more than an hour, normally.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bonk = The Wall.

If you want that weak dizzy feeling run for about an hour and make the last 500m a uphill sprint!

Blue

Legendary Member
Yes indeed, in running the 'bonk' is called the 'wall'. However, it would take more that 1hr to hit said wall - anything less than 2 - 2.2 hours and it's simple lack of fitness that's the problem. The bonk/wall is running out of fuel, which takes a long time!!

BSRU

A Human Being
I've bonked on the bike before that. Perhaps it's not true bonking, though the symptoms are very similar, weak, dizzy, empty, whatever it is, I've never experienced it running but point taken, it's probably not bonking and no I don't run for more than an hour, normally.
I think this should be awarded the best post of the year 2012(so far).

Top Bottom