Why no mudguards for road bikes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
i've taken the guards off my winter bike to use as my commuter in the summer. i just don't like the rattle and occasional rubbing you get with them (sks plastic ones).

i put them on myself, out of being stubborn enough not to pay someone to make the bike look less attractive.

bonj2

alecstilleyedye said:
i've taken the guards off my winter bike to use as my commuter in the summer. i just don't like the rattle and occasional rubbing you get with them (sks plastic ones).

i put them on myself, out of being stubborn enough not to pay someone to make the bike look less attractive.

And i'm sure you're not an incompetent when it comes to bikes alecs. yet people still stand there and swear you simply don't get rattling and rubbing. Just like they'll stand there and swear black's white, till their blue in the face.

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
You will need mudguards for winter riding, but, would you put guards on a road bike? Would you put a roof rack on a Bentley continental?

Arch

Married to Night Train
I made a point of listening to mine, yesterday, as I rode over some cobbles, and couldn't hear any rattling, and I'm a terrible bodger most of the time...

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I remember reading in one of Red Ken's missives designed to get the populace onto two wheels that if you commute every day of the year in London, you'll only get rained on I think it was 12 times. Sounded totally implausible at the time, but I'm not so sure now. Sure, it rains a lot more often than that - but of course it very often misses the actual half-hour you're on the road.

Also, I agree with whoever said 'if it rains you're going to get wet anyway, so why bother?' Then again, I have a shower and dry clothes waiting at both ends of my route...if you don't, i guess that would make a difference.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
It may only rain allegedly 12 times a year however what about all the days that it is not but there is standing water on the road.

I don't mind getting wet when it is peeing down but I hate the feeling you get of splashback up your arse / back when riding in standing water. I have a roadbike, I have mudguards, I don't have a Bentley continental and I don't give a flying **** whether some seem they are not passe. Plus mine don't rattle ;)

Ludwig

Hopeless romantic
A standard bike for leisure and commuting should come pre-fitted with mudguards, pannier carriers, lights etc. Only the ultra light racing machines should be without mudguards. We see a current trend where newbies and novices ride with with laiden rucksacks on their backs getting soaked to the skin looking like complete plonkers. I want to see some common sense returning to the world of cycling.

bonj2

swee said:
Then again, I have a shower and dry clothes waiting at both ends of my route...if you don't, i guess that would make a difference.

it was ME! and i still do say that... and i'm right :angry:

Top Bottom