Why no weight loss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lulubel

Über Member
Different stores are used by doing different exercise. Slow exercise burns fat whilst intensive exeercise used Glycogen I think.

As far as I understand it (and this is getting a bit in depth for me), fat burning occurs all the time if glycogen stores aren't perceived to be sufficient, but there's a limit to the rate at which the body can generate energy from fat. Hence higher intensity exercise uses glycogen stores faster.

From the point of view of weight loss, it doesn't matter where the energy comes from. It's as simple as energy in must be less than energy out. However, if you're taking part in an endurance type activity, it makes sense to maintain a level of effort that uses glycogen stores as slowly as possible.

barongreenback

Über Member
Just a quick recommendation to anyone who's interested in this subject - Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean. A very straightforward and common sense guide to nutrition in general (as well as sports specific advice). I've lent my copy to a mate but one thing that did stand out is that very low calorie diets usually result in lean muscle being used for fuel so these are to be avoided, unless that's the result you want of course! Also you need to consume an excess of calories to build muscle - weight loss plateaus aren't as simple as fat being replaced by lean muscle.

Anyway, she's got lots of letters after her name so I trust her book :laugh:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Just a quick recommendation to anyone who's interested in this subject - Sports Nutrition by Anita Bean. A very straightforward and common sense guide to nutrition in general (as well as sports specific advice). I've lent my copy to a mate but one thing that did stand out is that very low calorie diets usually result in lean muscle being used for fuel so these are to be avoided, unless that's the result you want of course! Also you need to consume an excess of calories to build muscle - weight loss plateaus aren't as simple as fat being replaced by lean muscle.

Anyway, she's got lots of letters after her name so I trust her book :laugh:

That's interesting and seems to be born out by all the other posters as well, though there are different takes on what the 'right' diet should consist of.

Well, I'm giving a low carb Atkins style variation a go right now, I'll see how I get on.

lulubel

Über Member
Well, I'm giving a low carb Atkins style variation a go right now, I'll see how I get on.

Although low carb certainly isn't for me - I love my carbs, and need the energy they give me - I'm not going to criticise low carb diets because they do work for some (all diets only work for some because success depends on not reverting to your old eating habits as soon as you stop the diet, and regaining the weight).

Some points to bear in mind, though:

1) Low carb will mean your glycogen stores are constantly depleted, so any physical activity (including cycling) will feel harder.

2) All diets work by reducing calorie intake. Low carb diets make reducing calorie intake easier because carbs make up such a large amount of our normal calorie intake. Plus, protein and fat keep you feeling full for longer. The result is, most people tend to naturally consume less calories on a low carb diet.

3) Glycogen stores have weight! You can expect to lose a few pounds very quickly at the beginning of the diet as your glycogen stores empty, but also be prepared to regain these few pounds when/if you return to eating carbs and your glycogen stores refill.

MacB

Thanks Lulubel, that all makes sense, the one I'm doing is only really strict on carbs for the first two weeks, after that it's more up to you. I certainly intend introducing fruit and probably morning porridge after this point. I expect to up my intakes as the weight comes down, bearing in mind I'm dreaming about a 5 stone weight loss here. So my inital approach will be one of trying to get my body to use fat stores, longer slower rides would seem to be the order of the day for exercise. My main dietary approach will be cutting out/down the vast quantities of chips, crisps, bread, potatoes, etc that I have been eating.

Once I've lost 3 stone, which I fully expect to achieve within 3 months, then I'll get more serious about the speciifcs of what I eat and when. However my past track record would indicate that I tend to eat less, and crave healthier stuff, the more active I am. Though I will have to watch for making sure I have enough fuel on board.

We'll see, I'm only on day 4 now and I'm fairly disciplined about weighing myself, never more than once a month...it drives my wife mad :biggrin:

lulubel

Über Member
I expect to up my intakes as the weight comes down, bearing in mind I'm dreaming about a 5 stone weight loss here.

There's no need to dream. That's pretty much what I lost a few years ago.

I regained some of it while I wasn't cycling, but nothing major really. I'm a healthy weight now, but I want to be as light as I can possibly be without compromising my immune system because it makes getting up the hills so much easier!

potsy

Rambler
I think the 'dream' is Mac getting his bike(s) out of the garage :laugh:

I'm about to make another attempt to lose the 2nd of the 2 stone I planned to lose this year, the first one came off quite well but a lack of effort on my part diet wise has meant I need to knuckle down now and get on with it again.
No specific diet here, just a general reduction in calorie intake.

MacB

I think the 'dream' is Mac getting his bike(s) out of the garage :laugh:

I'm about to make another attempt to lose the 2nd of the 2 stone I planned to lose this year, the first one came off quite well but a lack of effort on my part diet wise has meant I need to knuckle down now and get on with it again.
No specific diet here, just a general reduction in calorie intake.

You're a cruel man, but it's true, just been out for 14 miles though, trying some new handlebars :blush:

See if I can stick to it properly this time, I believe my track record was:-

started cycling at 18 stone
got down to 14 stone
went back up to 18.5 stone - this is the bit that still staggers me, as in how could I have been such an arse!!!!!
am now down to 17.5 stone
12.5 stone is the goal, but I'll be pretty happy if I break the 14 stone barrier...it's been a few years for that one.

brockers

Forgive my gloating but I've just hit 9 stone 7 ! I've not seen that for twenty years!

I put it down to rarely buying bread anymore. I found it was easy to forget about that crafty sandwich I'd knock up at 9 pm out of boredom when doing the daily calorie count.

Oh god! Thinking about it has given me a craving for a rye loaf and Normandy butter. Must resist. Must resist.:biggrin:

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
You're a cruel man, but it's true, just been out for 14 miles though, trying some new handlebars :blush:

See if I can stick to it properly this time, I believe my track record was:-

started cycling at 18 stone
got down to 14 stone
went back up to 18.5 stone - this is the bit that still staggers me, as in how could I have been such an arse!!!!!
am now down to 17.5 stone
12.5 stone is the goal, but I'll be pretty happy if I break the 14 stone barrier...it's been a few years for that one.

I have managed to reach 15 stone. I was 18stone at the start of the year after not cycling since the previous July.

OP
OP
L

Libby

I just thought I'd put in a quick update. Trying not to worry quite so much about the weight loss as I am hoping that so long as I am sensible that will come in time. And I managed to cycle 70 miles yesterday in 4 hours 47 mins (which could have been quicker if it hadn't been for enjoying the sun and chatting to my husband :biggrin:). Considering I only got my bike 3 weeks ago and I have no aches today I'm quite pleased with that. Plan to keep training to do some sportives next year so hopefully the weight loss will come with that.

Nebulous

Guru
I took over a year to lose 5 stone at a pretty steady pound a week. I had the idea that if I did it slow and steady I would be more likely to make it stick. I tried to run a calorie deficit 5 days a week and eat a bit more at the weekend to try and prevent my metabolism slowing down.

As the weight came down I had to up my exercise level to keep it going, as my body became more efficient at meeting its needs.

James

I just thought I'd put in a quick update. Trying not to worry quite so much about the weight loss as I am hoping that so long as I am sensible that will come in time. And I managed to cycle 70 miles yesterday in 4 hours 47 mins (which could have been quicker if it hadn't been for enjoying the sun and chatting to my husband :biggrin:). Considering I only got my bike 3 weeks ago and I have no aches today I'm quite pleased with that. Plan to keep training to do some sportives next year so hopefully the weight loss will come with that.

Bloody good going! You may already have lots of gadgets but I am finding Cyclemeter and MyFitnessPal very useful apps for weight loss. I've also tried online weightwatchers (lost 2.5 stone in about 5 months) but MFP is better and free! Cyclemeter eats your phone battery a bit but it seems like a pretty accurate gps from the few rides I've done with it.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Hmmm, interesting thread this. I have just signed up for MyFitnessPal... Looks quite good! I need to try to make a big push because I have only
managed to lose about 2 and a half stone in 3 years of cycling :sad:

Top Bottom