Why no weight loss?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
(10 x weight) + (6.25 x height) - (5 x age) - 161 gives average calories burned in a 24 hour period if at rest.

That would give me 1480 cals a day if at rest so I should be doing enough really. Def not at natural weight, as although I have always weighed fairly heavy (at my best I was 70kg but 20% body fat which is ok for a female) but I'm up at 79kg now which is far too heavy for me - and nothing fits!

May I ask how tall you are?

Also as was just said three weeks in nothing. Give your body time to adjust to the new regime. I reckon you will notice a difference in a few months.

OP
OP
L

Libby

I'm 165cm (otherwise known as tubby shortass) :-) Thanks. cos I think you are all probably right about giving it time. I think I'm just having a bad day cos my legs are tired and I'm tired and I still want to cycle at least another 75 miles this week.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm 165cm (otherwise known as tubby shortass) :-) Thanks. cos I think you are all probably right about giving it time. I think I'm just having a bad day cos my legs are tired and I'm tired and I still want to cycle at least another 75 miles this week.

:biggrin: I know that feeling. My training has taken a blow due to a re-occurrence of my insomnia. I cannot trust myself on a bike with only a few hours of sleep over the past 4 days :sad:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You eat 10,000 calories a week. About 14,000 are needed for general body maintenance allowing for some weight loss (based on a conservative 2,000 calorie per day requirement). A further 6,000 are needed for your exercise routine. That gives you an enormous calorie deficit of 10,000 calories a week, or 1400 per day.

Is your body rather confused? Perhaps it thinks you're being starved and wants you to eat more. Until you do you may not be able to lose weight. The rule of thumb I've heard is that you should target a (very) few hundred calories per day as a calorie deficit.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...

That's exactly what I felt when I was running a very big calorie deficit and not losing weight. I upped my food intake and started feeling better and losing weight.

I then started eating too much again - but that's another story.

OP
OP
L

Libby

That's exactly what I felt when I was running a very big calorie deficit and not losing weight. I upped my food intake and started feeling better and losing weight.

I then started eating too much again - but that's another story.

I know what you mean. my weight has been a battle for the last 6 years. I initially lost 6 stone which was the easy bit but it's been keeping it off that's hard! I was ok until 2 years ago when a back injury put an end to running and most of the aerobic classes I was teaching and since then I have struggled even more.

Thankfully cycling is ok for my back but finding the right food balance is tough - and I am aware that it's a big calory deficit but that's always the way it's had to be for me to lose weight. I should really stop moaning and be happy that I have found an exercise that I can do without hurting my back and just hope that the weight loss will follow.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I know what you mean. my weight has been a battle for the last 6 years. I initially lost 6 stone which was the easy bit but it's been keeping it off that's hard! I was ok until 2 years ago when a back injury put an end to running and most of the aerobic classes I was teaching and since then I have struggled even more.

Thankfully cycling is ok for my back but finding the right food balance is tough - and I am aware that it's a big calory deficit but that's always the way it's had to be for me to lose weight. I should really stop moaning and be happy that I have found an exercise that I can do without hurting my back and just hope that the weight loss will follow.

I have highlighted the most important bit of your post :biggrin:

endoman

2485 cal per day doing nothing... Ive done this wrong I think.

10*173 + 6.25*173 - 5*33 - 161

you weigh 173 kilos?

Fiona N

Veteran
So far I have lost a big fat 0kg.

Sadly I think it's a function of being fit and a woman :sad:

I get really jealous of these people who post on here and say 'I took up cycling 4 months ago and have been commuting 10 miles every day - loving it and I've lost 3 stones in weight' :angry: I watch in wonder on training camps as fellow (male, usually) cyclists visibly lose weight while stuffing their faces every night at dinner while I have a piece of fish and a plate of salad and lose not weight in 2 weeks.

This Spring, I've done the Audax qualifying rides over March - June for the Paris-Brest-Paris event. This means half a dozen 200km, 300km, 400km and 600km rides - not to mention rides during the week and on my own at weekends - and, despite watching what I eat (and drink), I have also lost 0kg.

I think the problem is that if you're fit and used to doing a lot of exercise over the long-term, your body becomes very efficient so you don't get the sudden weight loss that newbie exercisers get and you also have to work very hard to lose weight you gained as you reduced your exercise.

So I'm afraid I don't have much joy for you and, if you find the answer, will you let me know. Since I started working from home 10 years ago, thus no daily commute, I've put on about 3 stones :ohmy: Hasn't stopped me cycling but the hills are humungous now :wacko:

Fiona N

Veteran
You eat 10,000 calories a week. About 14,000 are needed for general body maintenance allowing for some weight loss (based on a conservative 2,000 calorie per day requirement).

That's not conservative - for a smallish female, BMR is close to 1500 kcals per day, as per Angelfish's (?) formula

amaferanga

Veteran
So you consume around 12,000 kcal per week. It can be hard to know exactly how many calories you consume and things do get forgotten so lets assume that could be an underestimate of 10-15%. So you maybe actually consume close to 14,000 kcal.

Now your BMR is probably about 1500 kcal/day so you need at least 10,500 kcal a week.

Your calorie estimate from your HRM sounds like its massively over - you may only be burning about 3000 kcal a week or less even.

So it could be that you're not actually running a calories deficit at all!

EDITED TO CORRECT MATHS FAIL

Top Bottom