Why not post a picture of your Fixed/Singlespeed bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
I built up a GT chucker a while ago, and used a Carrera Vulcan MTB for parts. The frame sat in the conservatory for quite a while, and I inexplicably started to feel sorry for it... so I bought a second donor bike and did the Carrera up as a single speed :smile:

IMG_20190404_185621.jpg

Bodged together a chain tensioner out of the old derailleur...
IMG_20190404_185635.jpg

It's nothing fancy, but somehow very satisfying giving the old girl a new lease of life.

...now I just need to sell the second donor bike frame before I start feeling sorry for that one... (won't happen - it's pig ugly!)

Attachments

• IMG_20190404_185629.jpg
    IMG_20190404_185629.jpg
    352 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20190404_185648.jpg
    IMG_20190404_185648.jpg
    343.1 KB · Views: 23

Azzurrinick

Still haven't convinced my bike buddies to come over to the light. Now running with a 42 on the front, trying to get my average cadence up

Attachments

• 20150815_122407.jpg
    20150815_122407.jpg
    245.2 KB · Views: 48

spark303

Guru
W
How do they work going up hills? I've owned many Moulton's and now ride fixed and I can't see them working well together.

Edit: Beautiful bikes you have there.
Thanks ^_^

I don’t live in a particularly hilly area fortunately (Essex), but the Mk3 isn’t noticeably harder work than my 700c Pearson Touche fixed and is as fast over a rolling route. Strangely, I find the AM a bit sluggish compared to the Mk3.

EckyH

A friend of mine converted a trekking bike frame from the early 1990s into a randonneur and rode it for years. Recently he made me a non-refusable offer for the frame set and some other parts.
So I took the plunge and converted it a second time. This time into a single speed cyclocross bike, mostly with second hand parts such as the Campagnolo Record crank set (another offer I could not refuse: 25€ with 53/39 chain rings in usable condition) and parts from my fund, such as the front wheel with parts from the early 1990s.

Finished the build today and had to go on a test ride.
IMG_20240326_174431.jpg

E.

Last edited:

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
Having read through a pile of postings I've also realised I haven't posted any of our fixies since 2017. Oops! How much things change in seven years ...

The Raleigh went off to Scunthorpe as part of their stock of track bikes and I hope track racing returns there soon.
Son no. 2's Avanti went to a lovely buyer from London and is going round Herne Hill and Lee Valley.

We replaced them with two other track bikes. Son no. 2 currently races on a Langdale, having picked up the British Universities Team Pursuit national title on it last month. Sadly Langdale Lightweights have closed their doors in Nottingham. He usually has a disc and 5-spoke for racing but also has these track wheels from NR6:

pxl_20220109_202548628-jpg.jpg

I have a Holdsworth Roi de Velo which I race (badly) at Derby and Manchester velodromes (must get a better photo):

dscf6603-jpg-jpg.jpg

We've also got a couple of grasstrack bikes that we race in Leeds; firstly a Kona Paddy Wagon with green wheels. That was bought as a frameset and we've turned it into a grasstrack racer:

dsc00167-jpg.jpg

Mine's a Fuji Track which I at least try to grasstrack with:

fuji_track-jpg.jpg

We've also got a Specialized Hotrock single-speed conversion which we originally bought back in 2017, turning it from a 99p 8-speed kid's bike missing components into an over-sized BMX single-speed. That was then used on holiday in France, where we sold it on to a family there for their children to use. Fast-forward five years and we're back there, as are they.

Now, son no. 2 hadn't complained about any other bike we'd sold except this one. And he'd sold it. So I enquired what they'd done with it and, if they still had it, could I have it back.

The answer was "yes, you can" and a purchase price turned into a donation as it required quite a bit of fettling. It now sports an orange tensioner plus better brakes and grips, but son no. 2 uses this around Nottingham:

dsc00685-jpg-jpg.jpg

And when he's not messing about / commuting to university on that he uses his Carlton Corsa fixie conversion. And yes, that's an orange squeaky duck on the front at a TT.

bottrill_tt-jpg.jpg

There's a good chance I'll be adding another fixie to the fleet for me to play about with locally.

Last edited:

Norry1

Legendary Member
Having read through a pile of postings I've also realised I haven't posted any of our fixies since 2017. Oops! How much things change in seven years ...

The Raleigh went off to Scunthorpe as part of their stock of track bikes and I hope track racing returns there soon.
Son no. 2's Avanti went to a lovely buyer from London and is going round Herne Hill and Lee Valley.

We replaced them with two other track bikes. Son no. 2 currently races on a Langdale, having picked up the British Universities Team Pursuit national title on it last month. Sadly Langdale Lightweights have closed their doors in Nottingham. He usually has a disc and 5-spoke for racing but also has these track wheels from NR6:

View attachment 725591

I have a Holdsworth Roi de Velo which I race (badly) at Derby and Manchester velodromes (must get a better photo):

View attachment 725592

We've also got a couple of grasstrack bikes that we race in Leeds; firstly a Kona Paddy Wagon with green wheels. That was bought as a frameset and we've turned it into a grasstrack racer:

View attachment 725593

Mine's a Fuji Track which I at least try to grasstrack with:

View attachment 725594

We've also got a Specialized Hotrock single-speed conversion which we originally bought back in 2017, turning it from a 99p 8-speed kid's bike missing components into an over-sized BMX single-speed. That was then used on holiday in France, where we sold it on to a family there for their children to use. Fast-forward five years and we're back there, as are they.

Now, son no. 2 hadn't complained about any other bike we'd sold except this one. And he'd sold it. So I enquired what they'd done with it and, if they still had it, could I have it back.

The answer was "yes, you can" and a purchase price turned into a donation as it required quite a bit of fettling. It now sports an orange tensioner plus better brakes and grips, but son no. 2 uses this around Nottingham:

View attachment 725595

And when he's not messing about / commuting to university on that he uses his Carlton Corsa fixie conversion. And yes, that's an orange squeaky duck on the front at a TT.

View attachment 725596

There's a good chance I'll be adding another fixie to the fleet for me to play about with locally.

What an awesome assemblage ! Love it.

Top Bottom