Why not post a picture of your Fixed/Singlespeed bike

Discussion in 'Fixed Gear and Single Speed' started by Sore Thumb, 8 Jul 2007.

1. iZaP

iZaP Über Member

2. uphillstruggler

uphillstruggler Veteran

This has had a few incarnations since I rescued it a few years ago. I stripped it down and had it resprayed to look like this IMAG0280.jpg

Then a few changes to this
    IMAG1534.jpg

Then finally to this

racing green.jpg

I cant see me changing it now apart from maybe some mud guards for winter as I like it a lot. its always been a favourite but this really suits it.

3. Bobtoo

Bobtoo Senior Member

I found myself with enough left over bits to build a fixed gear bike, so it seemed rude not to.

36604797490_7efa9b595e_b.jpg 2017-09-03_04-08-56 by RichardB5, on Flickr

I hadn't ridden fixed before but I'm quite enjoying it.

4. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

I've just made this out of a 60s/70s Sun Mass Start. I bought it on Gumtree for £20 as it had two new tyres, which was cheaper than buying the tyres for a bike I was building at the time. Rather than waste the bike I converted it to a single speed, as a first SS project, using bits I had in the shed plus a new freewheel. I kept the steel wheels as they are fairly light and run freely. The original white paint was a very poor state so I sanded it to use as a base coat and gave it a rattle can spray paint job in white.

I've been out for a couple of rides on it and it's pretty good to ride, even though I'm not used to a single-speed, plus the brakes on steel rims work well. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to keep it.

20170913_154403.jpg 20170913_154427.jpg 20170913_154507.jpg

Last edited: 13 Sep 2017
  5. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

A Raleigh Royal frame and a Brooks B17 - handy things to have lying around in your box of leftover bike bits :okay:

Bobtoo likes this.
  6. Alan O

Alan O Über Member

Do be careful if you go out in the wet. Many years ago I had steel rims, and the standard rubber brake blocks worked fine when it was dry - but in the wet they faded to nothing, totally useless. I did try those blocks with leather inserts (remember those?) and they helped a bit in the wet, but it wasn't long before I swapped to alloy rims.

7. queasyrider

queasyrider Still perplexed

Got one pair of those on plus another pair in the shed, I doubt that this will be a rainy day bike.

(but they are nice wheels, and really add to the looks of the bike!)

Last edited: 13 Sep 2017
    Alan O likes this.
  8. dhd.evans

dhd.evans Über Member

"ONE OF US, ONE OF US...."

lcK5n58gw0o2XePri6XvJC6PVxGf72JjeH5avrqCnHI-2047x1536.jpg

I've retired the summer roadie for a simpler ride.

uphillstruggler and Threevok like this.
  9. smutchin

smutchin Cat 6 Racer

I have both of those in my spares box too.

(Well, OK, the Royal frame is hanging up on the garage wall being ornamental, and the B17 is attached to a non-rideable bike waiting to be reallocated, but it's the same in principle. Funnily enough, I have thought about rebuilding the Royal as a fixie but one of the chainstays is knackered.)

10. gaijintendo

gaijintendo Über Member

That was my single speed, I never rode it fixed, sold it, and missed it. I hope it's happy now. IMG_20170106_115339.jpg
    So I got the cheapest bike on gumtree with horizontal drops
    IMG_20170915_165209.jpg
    Stuck some drops, new brakes (including a rear one) mudguards on it, a less rusty chainring, a new tyre, tube, some BMX tensioners, then after this pic a Brooks saddle, some SPDs, new chain and a new front tyre.
    One crank didn't like having it's pedal removed (and the thread), so that's a random suntour anodised job now. I have a replacement rear wheel, but it's doing its job, so leaving it be.
    IMG_20171019_102959.jpg
    I probably should have just spent more money on something better to start with, but we are best buds now.

Hadn't intended on the red white and blue.

Last edited: 7 Nov 2017
  11. addman100

addman100 Über Member

20171015_153052.jpg

Felt Breed single speed cx

Adam4868 likes this.
  12. EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

Picked this up for £250 a couple of weeks back. Only done 400 miles from new. Swapped out the CX tyres for some 4Seasons, fitted the mudguards last night, popped a bottle cage, bell and lights on there, and now it's all ready to be my first dedicated winter commuter. Though it's so nice to ride I'll likely use it on some flatter weekend rides too :smile:

IMG_5768.JPG IMG_5769.JPG

Last edited: 8 Nov 2017
    mudrock, gaijintendo and MossCommuter like this.
  13. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

Nice! That looks like a brand spanker! I remember when mine looked like that.

Think about protecting the frame where the cables rub by using Lizard Skins patches or heli tape or something similar. Think about a chainstay protector as well (I wish I had done).

14. EasyPeez

EasyPeez Über Member

Good tips. It already has clear tape under all the points where the cables meet the frame. I'll get a chainstay protector ordered.

Do you know what all the frame eyelets are for btw? Apart from the obvious ones there are 2 on the drive side chainstay - possibly for routing cables if converting to a hub gear? Also one on the bottom bracket - same purpose? And two on the bottom of the downtube - I presumed for an extra bottle cage but you'd never fot a bottle that close to the wheel...bolt on partial mudguard maybe?

15. MossCommuter

MossCommuter Guru

I don't know to be honest; I have nothing mounted on the frame so never even really looked at them. Maybe if you started a thread with a side on view of the bicycle and arrows point to the mount points someone will have some idea.

EasyPeez likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice