Why paint aluminium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have recently dismantled and rebuilt an aluminum framed bike including touching up the bigger scratches on the paintwork. From a performance point of view, is there any benefit to painting an aluminum frame?

As I recall there have previously been tube trains and aeroplanes in unpainted aluminum finish.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have recently dismantled and rebuilt an aluminum framed bike including touching up the bigger scratches on the paintwork. From a performance point of view, is there any benefit to painting an aluminum frame?

As I recall there have previously been tube trains and aeroplanes in unpainted aluminum finish.

If it were totally unpainted it would suffer from surface oxidation pretty quickly. A clearcoat would stop that but then you would see all the ugly imperfections from the manufacturing process underneath.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My 'turbo' bike is unpainted aluminium. I thought it would be ok unpainted just sat in the garage on my turbo, but oil & grease marks don't shift too easy & it's starting to look a little messy :blush: Reckon once summer is here & I'm not on the turbo so much I'll strip the bike back down, clean the frame up & give it a coat or 2 of paint, just to keep it looking a bit cleaner :okay:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
without watching the movie to find out... doesn't Doc Brown mention it having an aluminium body in Back to the Future? ...or am i just remembering it wrong?
It's not mentioned on the film's IMDB Goofs page and I think it would be if it did because they spot far smaller mistakes than that.

And he'd probably say aluminum.

Top Bottom