Why paint aluminium?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Low Gear Guy

Veteran
I have recently dismantled and rebuilt an aluminum framed bike including touching up the bigger scratches on the paintwork. From a performance point of view, is there any benefit to painting an aluminum frame?

As I recall there have previously been tube trains and aeroplanes in unpainted aluminum finish.

Milkfloat

An Peanut
I have recently dismantled and rebuilt an aluminum framed bike including touching up the bigger scratches on the paintwork. From a performance point of view, is there any benefit to painting an aluminum frame?

As I recall there have previously been tube trains and aeroplanes in unpainted aluminum finish.

If it were totally unpainted it would suffer from surface oxidation pretty quickly. A clearcoat would stop that but then you would see all the ugly imperfections from the manufacturing process underneath.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You'd have to be out with the cleaners/polishes very often for reasons above. My MTB is painted to look like raw aluminium :laugh:

Soltydog

Legendary Member
My 'turbo' bike is unpainted aluminium. I thought it would be ok unpainted just sat in the garage on my turbo, but oil & grease marks don't shift too easy & it's starting to look a little messy :blush: Reckon once summer is here & I'm not on the turbo so much I'll strip the bike back down, clean the frame up & give it a coat or 2 of paint, just to keep it looking a bit cleaner :okay:

the_mikey

Legendary Member
Depends on the Aluminium alloy, some alloys oxidize quickly and you'll be covered in black oxidized aluminium every time you touch the frame.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
without watching the movie to find out... doesn't Doc Brown mention it having an aluminium body in Back to the Future? ...or am i just remembering it wrong?
It's not mentioned on the film's IMDB Goofs page and I think it would be if it did because they spot far smaller mistakes than that.

And he'd probably say aluminum.

Top Bottom