Why the hatred?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sjwood0

Morning folks

I'm new to the forum and perhaps there's been 100s of these posts but does anyone have people swearing at them on their commute? I've been cycling to work for about 5 years now and twice in the past year I've had complete strangers in vans swearing at me. The guy today yelled something like "get over (or get out road) you pr**k". If I rode any further toward the curb I'd come off due to all the man-hole covers and pot holes and I'd be less visible.

What suprises me is the level of agression shown, this guy must have literally gone from 0-10 in about a second. I too get wound up when I'm driving and I'm in a traffic jam too but I just can't understand why all their frustration about the traffic (and perhaps their life?) is directed to a cyclist who just happens to be on their bit of road. I'm considering a helmet cam to record some of this.

Steve

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
I'd get a camera but not put it on a helmet even if I wore one. I wouldn't want to risk it being the last thing to go through my mind in a crash.

I don't have anything like that aggression here. I think we've reached 20% of people cycling in the borough, which isn't Cambridge but probably enough that most people have family or friends cycling so they're less inclined to be dicks when driving near them. That's my theory anyway. I'll probably get shouts and a single finger wave when cycling today now!

Don't let them grind you down or dissuade you from safer cycling practices. Keep calm and smile and wave!

vickster

Legendary Member
Everyone subjected to the stress of modern life. Or maybe he was just a generally agressive twat brainless Neanderthal. He probably rants at learners, old ladies in Micras and kittens. Either way, twice in a year sounds low, just have an internal rant for a few minutes, then forget it and ride as Markymark says

A camera will just make you focus more on it imo. It'll serve no other purpose for recording the very occasional abusive language

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Not sure where you are but twice a year ain't that bad, try riding in London on a daily basis.
Some vehicle drivers are just pathetic angry people.
You can deal with it in a couple of ways.
Ignore and let them get all steamed up in their own juice and continue with your bike ride knowing that one day mr angry driver will probably have a heart attack due to anger issues.
Or my way which is fight fire with fire and give them the finger. They are just bullies and I will not be bullied by anyone just for cycling.

BurningLegs

Veteran
I get it sometimes too, Steve.

It's only happened a handful of times to me, and on all but one occasion it was a "get on the f***ing cycle path" type comment where there is inadequate cycle provision. Either a narrow/hazardous shared use path or a cycle path under trees which is very poorly maintained so the surface is bad and covered in debris from the trees for most of the year which can be slippery.

One thing I do take a little comfort in is the fact that I don't think cyclists are singled out - I see plenty of "car on car" road rage with horns blaring, people flashing their lights, what I call "angry accelerations", and more.

AndyMack

I've only had it once Steve, cycling down a quiet road with hardly a car on the road and a Council van with driver and passenger slowed down to my pace and told me I should "buy a f***ing car and stop f***ing about gimp!"
The abuse itself didn't bother me because it's just two eejits who I'd just flip a finger at and forget about, it was more the fact they pulled right up to me and the vans door was almost touching my bike handle which as a novice cyclist I'd no experience of and threw me a bit. I almost caught up to them at a red light but alas they got through it just as I caught up or I'd have had a chat.
So far on the whole drivers have been pretty decent, but I've taken the advise I've gleaned from this board and make eye contact at lights junctions etc with drivers, it lets me know they've seen me and also, I think, makes them less likely to be aggressive.
Well that's my 2p's worth.

Oh and welcome to the forum Steve.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Wave & smile, & send the footage to their employer. Camera on the bars works for me most of the time. If I'm starting the conversation I usually begin with "good morning" - give them a chance to be civilised.

Had an aggressive horn blast the other day & I don't think he was expecting me to go back & chat about it.. ^_^

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
The best ones are the idiots coming in the opposite direction, Shouting and ranting, What is that all about.:laugh::laugh::laugh:

Debade

Über Member
I just got back from Peru (holiday). The motorists took me back to the 1960s. The simple rule is the street belongs to the motorist. Any obstruction to their path is an affront to their space. The rule seems to be, go past the curb if you want pedestrian but do not obstruct my path. That is impolite, bad form and I will not take a forgiving approach. But, I will not hit you with my car.

60 years later, (speaking mostly about USA), there are still a few of those people around. The vast majority have gotten the 'share the road' message. But, 50 years is not long enough apparently.

Per some of the advice you have received, ignore them the best you can. (There have been times when I have responded but not proud of it). But, never allow them to compromise your safety. For example, if moving closer to the middle of the road is safer than hugging the curb, take the lane, etc.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I'm considering a helmet cam to record some of this.

Get a camera if you feel it's necessary, but don't fall into the trap of using the footage for others' entertainment on Youtube etc. If someone endangers you, give the evidence to the police and let them handle it.

There's an Aldi sale coming on 28 September where they'll be selling their copy of the Cycliq Fly6, which fits on the seatpost and doesn't look like a camera. I can't vouch for how good it'll be but it's only £39.99.

camera-and-bike-light.jpg

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Morning folks

I'm new to the forum and perhaps there's been 100s of these posts but does anyone have people swearing at them on their commute? I've been cycling to work for about 5 years now and twice in the past year I've had complete strangers in vans swearing at me. The guy today yelled something like "get over (or get out road) you pr**k". If I rode any further toward the curb I'd come off due to all the man-hole covers and pot holes and I'd be less visible.

What suprises me is the level of agression shown, this guy must have literally gone from 0-10 in about a second. I too get wound up when I'm driving and I'm in a traffic jam too but I just can't understand why all their frustration about the traffic (and perhaps their life?) is directed to a cyclist who just happens to be on their bit of road. I'm considering a helmet cam to record some of this.

Steve

I partly blame our right wing gutter press. The Daily Fail is mainly responsible for perpetuating myths about road tax, cycle lanes cause congestion etc. So does Rupert Murdoch's phone hacking media circus. So you get some deranged people thinking that since they drive a car, pay wads of cash to do so, it's a passport to self-entitlement. They look on cyclists as freeloaders, getting in 'their way'. Others look on us as an easy target. I also think it's something to do with finding a way to express their frustration, anger and stress that comes with driving in our congested country. The 'freedom of driving' lifestyle that was on the rise during the 1980's has a few birds coming home to roost now, especially congestion. I get this at work where people who want to live a nice rural life in satellite villages, moan perpetually about the endlessly long commute. When I suggest they move house nearer work, I get looks like I've just asked them to climb Everest blindfolded and without oxygen.

It's why I'm damn glad I don't drive very much any more. Too many vehicles, too many A-Holes using mobiles behind the wheel, speeding etc. And don't get me started on some people's parking skills - atrocious!.

BTW I would recommend the Contour HD as a helmet cam. Good HD, simple to use. Mine is unfortunately broken, but I'm treating myself to a new one at Xmas:okay:.

Last edited:
Top Bottom