1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why the heck...

Discussion in 'CycleChat Cafe' started by Arch, 17 Aug 2007.

1. Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Right. I've had the same pair of shoes (trainer type) for about a year. And I've got 3 or 4 pairs of near identical socks, (different colours, but same pattern, thickness etc).

For nearly a year then, I've been wearing these shoes, and one of these pairs of socks, almost every day.

So why have the socks, in the last week, decided to start twisting round inside the shoe, so that I end up with the heel on top of my foot, and the top of the sock all down inside the shoe, not round my ankle?:ohmy:

I can only assume that as the shoes wear and become more and more soft, there's more room inside them? Although I lace them up just as tight.

Also, why could the Royal Mail not manage to get my Mum's birthday card to her today, despite me posting it first class on Tuesday!:ohmy: And why do I feel guilty about this fact?

2. chris42

chris42 New Member

This is so your mother can be:
    a) disapointed with you
    :biggrin: angry with you
    c) make you feel your brother/sister would never do that.

Because this happened to me at the begining of the month and I posted the card 7 working days in advance!:ohmy:

3. wafflycat

wafflycat New Member

Have you lost weight recently? If you have, your feet may be a tad smaller, hence sock loose on the foot & able to twist about.

4. col

col Veteran

Also, why could the Royal Mail not manage to get my Mum's birthday card to her today, despite me posting it first class on Tuesday! And why do I feel guilty about this fact?

There has been a post office strike here,i wonder if its been everywhere or just local,could have been responsible?

5. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

Fabric conditioner making them soft and slippy.... Ooooer!

You could always train them: In a loud commanding voice shout "STAY!!!"

6. Melvil

Melvil Standard nerd

Yep - there are postal worker strikes all over the place which are causing knock-on effects so may well be why your card is late.

Funny, these strikes, they don't seem to be working at all (it's about pay and job cuts as always)....whereas if any doctors, GPs or consultants merely threatened a strike the government would no doubt give them a massive pay rise and improved conditions!

7. alecstilleyedye

alecstilleyedye nothing in moderation Staff Member

for the same reason that mrs alecetc's (who's birthday is also today) mum in edinburgh gets stuff a day later than her granny in dundee (they share a birthday).

and the sock thing, is there less arch than there used to be? good this cycling thing isn't it :ohmy:

8. Chuffy

Chuffy Veteran

Blimey, several posts in and no-one's mentioned stockings. Standards are slipping chaps!

9. OP
    OP
    Arch

Arch Married to Night Train

Ah, I hadn't thought of strikes, well, I had, but I thought there hadn't been any lately, but that might be it. Lucky I rang her to say Happy Birthday, because she was thinking it was a bit unlike me to forget, and wondering how to ring me and mention it, tactfully... I can send her another card, but I'll be annoyed if the book token goes astray...

As for the losing weight round the feet idea... Flattering, but alas my weight has been pretty steady for months (albeit steady at about a stone more than it should be). And I've never had fat ankles or feet anyway... As a matter of fact, my feet are a bit of me I quite like.

Love the idea of training my socks Mr Phoebus! That wouldn't look odd in public, would it!:ohmy:

10. pzycoman

pzycoman New Member

Just tell them the voices in your head told you to do it :ohmy:

11. Regulator

Regulator Egregious Professor of Cruel and Unusual Geography

No odder than riding a bike in the minds of many of the general public, I'm afraid... :ohmy:

12. Brock

Brock Senior Member

Either the elastic is starting to go in the socks, or they're desperately trying to crawl out of your stinky old trainers.

13. Keith Oates

Keith Oates Janner

Perhaps it means you should buy some new ones, it will make you feel better after the disappointments of today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

14. Mr Phoebus

Mr Phoebus New Member

Balls to what they think!!! But if you're going to be a shrinking violet then go sock less.