Why wouldn't you wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I only wear one to protect my ears, its easier to wear one then spend hours trying to explain to missus why they are not as good as you think then listen to her whine on and on and on and on.

wrong thread - you want the headphone debate

Saluki

World class procrastinator
Sometimes I wear one, sometimes not. If I am out on our local roads, I tend to as the driving skills around here are appalling. On the Marriotts or similar, I tend not to. I don't wear a helmet, quite often when riding a horse either (cue outrage from other horse riders on here) and neither do a lot of people, if they are honest.
I do wear gloves as my hands sometimes go a bit tingly otherwise. My head doesn't go tingly when I don't wear a lid though.

Last time I fell of a bike properly, I broke my collar bone. My head didn't touch the ground, until I laid down and made the tiniest fuss about riding back home again.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Sometimes I wear one, sometimes not. If I am out on our local roads, I tend to as the driving skills around here are appalling. On the Marriotts or similar, I tend not to. I don't wear a helmet, quite often when riding a horse either (cue outrage from other horse riders on here) and neither do a lot of people, if they are honest.
I do wear gloves as my hands sometimes go a bit tingly otherwise. My head doesn't go tingly when I don't wear a lid though.

Last time I fell of a bike properly, I broke my collar bone. My head didn't touch the ground, until I laid down and made the tiniest fuss about riding back home again.

If you'd worn a helmet the increased head size could have avoided the broken bone as your head could have taken the impact. Am actually being (slightly) serious by the way - although the latter may not have been a better outcome.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
if I wore a helmet it would be worth stopping just to upset a helmet evangelist
Part of the reason I wear one less (or at least will when I leisure cycle more again) is because of reading views on here and the various stats bandied about. Although as a 'why wouldn't you' the arguments still sometimes feel a bit twisted. To be fair, largely because they are as it's mass statistics vs individual experience and the way the figures don't really mesh together on both sides could have been designed to screw with how our minds have evolved to think.

Jayaly

You are referring to your head.

I certainly hope he is, otherwise he would be one up on the cyclist who passed me on a towpath a couple of years ago wearing no trousers and see-through pants. I am happy to state for the record that that guy was wearing a helmet, though.

byegad

Legendary Member
If you'd worn a helmet the increased head size could have avoided the broken bone as your head could have taken the impact. Am actually being (slightly) serious by the way - although the latter may not have been a better outcome.

This is somewhat correct. The one time I fell off my bike, on black ICE, I didn't hit my head although I had severe grazing on my elbow and outer thigh, both through clothing. Had I worn a helmet I suspect that it would have made contact with the tarmac.

Moreover after having a minor head injury in my cycle shed requiring a stitch or two I had a huge row with the nurse, sister and then the doctor over how it was recorded. Briefly I managed to hit myself just above the eyes with a pedal (Which was not attached to anything else except its sister pedal.) they insisted I'd had a cycling accident (In a shed 8'x5'.) while not wearing a helmet, or riding a bike! It was so recorded even when I pointed out that a helmet would not cover that part of my head and I WASN'T ON A BIKE! So these days I take official head injury statistics with a couple of lorry loads of salt!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom