Why wouldn't you wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
... Same with overglasses to protect my eyes. Do you wear those? ...

i did briefly consider those today as i was hit in the eye by a fly and was too busy trying to get the bugger out to notice that i was drifting into the verge. But since i tend to cry all the way to work, protective glasses aren't ideal.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I was being slightly tongue in cheek. I had an "off" after tumbling across a car boot landing on my shoulder. I was luckier than you and nothing broken - but thinking back, the bruise on my shoulder suggested that my (bare) head had missed the ground by rather less than the width of a helmet. I could have been badly injured had I been wearing one :-^ . The huge bruise covering half my chest which emerged over the next week was quite something though. And in case anyone was concerned - don't worry, bike was fine

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
But since i tend to cry all the way to work, protective glasses aren't ideal.
Is your work that bad? ;)

I tend to cry while riding fast if I'm not wearing overglasses. I don't remember this being a problem when I was younger, but I used to wear wraparound sunglasses and then when I started wearing corrective glasses, they were rather bigger than the current fashion :eek:

I once ejected myself from my bike at a good rate of knots and entered a car via the rear window using my face to break the glass [please don't ask how this happened, I am sure dr_pink will happily give full details if you were to ask nicely, she even took photos, macabre if you ask me]. My head went through the glass just under the top edge of the metal frame. If I had been wearing a helmet there is little doubt it would have caught this top edge and abruptly stopped the forward motion of my head which then would have been whipped backwards.
This is by way of countering the ad nauseam stories of damaged helmets so therefore it saved my life.
If the pros stopped wearing helmets, sales would collapse. So I don't look like a pro, why would I pretend to be one?

Julia9054

Guru
Woolly hat in winter - like to be warm
Helmet sometimes in summer - I like something on my head to stop my hair blowing about and to keep the sun off as I am fair skinned and my scalp burns easily.
I am going off cycling round Belgium this summer and am not intending to take a helmet - too bulky.
I will need something to keep the sun off and look terrible in baseball caps - any stylish suggestions?

Julia9054

Guru

Thank you - looks just the thing! Might have to practice though.
Here's me looking terrifying in a buff!
image.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom