Why wouldn't you wear a helmet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

david k

Hi
Because you're being a pointless idiot, that's not mocking by the way, and got nothing to do with helmets, just my opinion on your 'contributions' to the conversation.
Oh I'm an idiot? Someone claimed mocking doesn't take place, I challenged that view and the amount of posts are in direct response to the amount of replies I got, if I reply I'm going on, if I don't I'm ignoring, just cannot win!

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
As interesting as your Indian restaurant anecdote is, I'm not sure what it has to do with my original post, which correct s someone who says "no mocking takes place"

And what is it Your advising me to "get over" ?
You are incorrectly interpreting challenge and questioning as "mocking". It isn't, either in intention or in expression.

david k

Hi
A question for @david k, if you toured the Netherlands, would you wear a helmet? If the answer is yes then my question is why would you when no one else feels the need to? Seriously you should try it, very liberating. It isn't all cycle paths either.
I refer to the post that got several likes when someone who doesn't wear a helmet said it, I do not need to justify my selection or explain it

Any chance of a photo or two showing the compressed foam that absorbed all the energy of the impact?

Here is my helmet after a crash last year. I have no memory of the accident, the hour before it, or about 4 hours after. According to my gps I was doing 30mph when a car pulled out in front of me. I hit the drivers side door. My head went through the window and head butted the driver. It looks as though my helmet hit the top of the door frame and the door pillar. As you can see from the pictures it is a lot thinner on one side compared to the same point on the other side. There are also a lot of cracks in the helmet where it has failed to do its job. I am still suffering from headaches, occasional memory loss and problems with concentration. The neurologist I saw has said I have suffered a moderate head injury.
Did the helmet help? Its hard to say. It does appear to have worked as it should at one point, but it has failed in others. It is difficult to say if it actually saved me from any further injury or none at all. One thing it did stop was cuts to my face. You could see where the helmet covered my face as the cuts stop above the helmet line. I will continue to wear a helmet, but it is a decision that I think is up to the individual.

DSCN2282_zpsilwddetl.jpg

DSCN2283_zpsq4smocj4.jpg

DSCN2284_zpsc0f04xxo.jpg

DSCN2285_zpsulahelv5.jpg

DSCN2286_zpspvosk8al.jpg

DSCN2289_zpscuhbfgeo.jpg

DSCN2290_zpsfhvosujl.jpg

Attachments

• DSCN2282_zpsilwddetl.jpg
    DSCN2282_zpsilwddetl.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2283_zpsq4smocj4.jpg
    DSCN2283_zpsq4smocj4.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 28
  • DSCN2284_zpsc0f04xxo.jpg
    DSCN2284_zpsc0f04xxo.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 34
  • DSCN2285_zpsulahelv5.jpg
    DSCN2285_zpsulahelv5.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN2289_zpscuhbfgeo.jpg
    DSCN2289_zpscuhbfgeo.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 31
  • DSCN2286_zpspvosk8al.jpg
    DSCN2286_zpspvosk8al.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 32
  • DSCN2290_zpsfhvosujl.jpg
    DSCN2290_zpsfhvosujl.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 33
I also had another accident that was a similar situation, similar speed and involved me going through a window. That helmet looked new, just a few scratches to the outside of the helmet. No cracks or deformation, so it seems to be a little hit and miss as to whether they work in every situation.

doog

No swerve here. I have never said that helmets are never of any use in an accident. They can help on some occasions, hinder in others, possibly exacerbate some, project an image of cycling as a dangerous activity that it doesn't deserve compared to, and here drag will have to bear with me, other activities for which the notion of helmet would be considered laughable. It is all a bit more complex than you would appear to like it to be.

You wanted to see a compressed helmet.. so whats you view on it ?

I disagree that they project an image of cycling as a dangerous activity...yet another myth portrayed by a few on here. Does anyone look at a brick layer for instance and think...'that must be a dangerous activity' because he's wearing a hard hat...hardly. Most people use a bit of common sense and tend not to let it get to them.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You wanted to see a compressed helmet.. so whats you view on it ?

I disagree that they project an image of cycling as a dangerous activity...yet another myth portrayed by a few on here. Does anyone look at a brick layer for instance and think...'that must be a dangerous activity' because he's wearing a hard hat...hardly. Most people use a bit of common sense and tend not to let it get to them.
Well... Yes. Actually if it's just a brick layer with nothing else going on I think "why". If it's a bricklayer on a building site I think "Hmmm... I know that building sites are dangerous places, but is that hiviz jacket and hard hat going to protect that particular brickie?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom