Why you need to own a derailleur hanger tool

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mpemburn

When I go into a bike shop and look at the wall of tools—usually Park tools—I am stricken with a serious bout of envy. My own shop tools all fit into one small carry box, though it has many of the necessaries like a torque wrench, chain tools, spoke wrench, etc.

I've long considered the derailleur hanger alignment tool to be one of the elite items seldom needed by the home bike mechanic, but I'm starting to think differently after a recent experience with my own bike, combined with what is said in this article: "The Best Derailleur Hanger Alignment Tool: 9 Tested". To quote:

But because derailleur hangers are designed to be sacrificed, that also means they’re prone to bending. That manifests as dodgy and inconsistent shifting that no amount of cable-tension adjusting, limit-screw fiddling or chain cleaning will solve. A derailleur hanger alignment gauge tool is not only extremely useful for diagnosing that your hanger is, in fact, bent, but also for making it straight again.

I will probably go with the Park tool.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This is mine:

T4tomo

Legendary Member
A good few years back probably not necessary.
However 11 and now 12 speed shifting is much more sensitive to correct indexing and aligning so sometime its "Good to check" even if just to eliminate it from the list of possible issues.

You don't need an expensive one as @DCLane has proven.

@Cycleops's one is fine for 8spd and below:whistle:

All uphill

Still rolling along
I have a cheapie one from ebay which works fine. I'd rather buy the tool than pay someone else to use theirs., but that's just me.

It has been used four or five times in the last couple of years when I've worked on my own and neighbour's bikes. The most out of line was on a new bike (£169 from a supermarket)that I was assembling.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Personally I'd mark that under "job for the LBS", along with wheel building and other major extremely infrequent* stuff. But I'm not a big time home mechanic

*Super infrequent - in fact, never - for me as I don't have a bike with a bendy aluminium sacrificial hanger.

Last edited:

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a spare hanger for my trike which I got from Germany just in time before the madness struck.
In the past I have used a flat steel surface and a bit of wood with pressure to straighten.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
When I go into a bike shop and look at the wall of tools—usually Park tools—I am stricken with a serious bout of envy. My own shop tools all fit into one small carry box, though it has many of the necessaries like a torque wrench, chain tools, spoke wrench, etc.

I've long considered the derailleur hanger alignment tool to be one of the elite items seldom needed by the home bike mechanic, but I'm starting to think differently after a recent experience with my own bike, combined with what is said in this article: "The Best Derailleur Hanger Alignment Tool: 9 Tested". To quote:

I will probably go with the Park tool.

I have the Park Tools one.

Top Bottom