Whyte Stirling overhaul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ashley348

Hi, I've been in the market for a road bike for ages which I've discussed here before, however covid and indecision have put a spanner in for now.

So my attention turns to my commuter Whyte Stirling. It desperately needs a new chain/cassette and rear wheel. The bottom bracket seems to be serviceable so I'll leave that be, the disc also looks ok. The rear wheel was rebuilt but the spokes are breaking again, this is probably due to corrosion and I've had 2 years out of it.

I just haven't got a clue what I need to order, chain size, wheel size etc! I need a chain with 2-3 extra llinks really because the chain rings slightly oversize, I had to replace the crank after it failed. I'd really appreciate some advice, Thanks!

Attachments

• 20210411_201016.jpg
    20210411_201016.jpg
    142.8 KB · Views: 44
  • 20210411_201042.jpg
    20210411_201042.jpg
    148.2 KB · Views: 46
  • 20210411_201058.jpg
    20210411_201058.jpg
    162.2 KB · Views: 40

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Looks like it’s a 10 speed (?) so that’s the type of chain you need (It will be oversize). Sizing it is easy, big ring to big ring (not through the derailleur) plus two links and the quick link. Wheels are likely 700c but you can check on the tyre wall, try to buy a good quality one.
Anything else you need to know?

OP
OP
A

ashley348

Looks like it’s a 10 speed (?) so that’s the type of chain you need (It will be oversize). Sizing it is easy, big ring to big ring (not through the derailleur) plus two links and the quick link. Wheels are likely 700c but you can check on the tyre wall, try to buy a good quality one.
Anything else you need to know?
Yeah, I'm still not sure what that means, also the rear cassette sizing isn't clear to me.

boydj

Legendary Member
You need to count the number of cogs on your cassette and the number of teeth on the largest. Buy the chain based on the number of cogs.

Sounds like it would be worth your while looking at some cycle maintenance web sites, such as Park Tools to get a better understanding of bike parts and how they all work together. Two years is not a lot of use out of a wheel. The size will be stamped on the wheels and also on the side of the tyres.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I assume you're planning to do this yourself so you'll also need a few tools. A chain cutter, a cassette removal tool and a chain whip plus a few assorted spanners and Allen keys.

Ajax Bay

Guru
It desperately needs a new chain/cassette and rear wheel.
Edit: Other than saying I'm not going to comment on it, the idea of a two year old rebuilt (sic) wheel which 'breaks spokes due to corrosion' is a worry (but not for me).
Read the side of the rear tyre. It will tell you the width of the tyre (eg 622-37, 37mm wide) the frame will take, and the size of the wheel.
You can transfer the current tyre and tube.
Wheel will be something like 622-19 (622 is the notional diameter and 19 is the internal rim width (mm)). This may be marked on the rim.
Count the number of spokes, but 32 will be good anyway, more is fine.
Its hub needs to have a 'freehub' for 8/9/10sp and for a disc.
The hub needs to be QR (and may come with a QR skewer or you can use the current one). Hub is probably 135mm 'over lock nut distance' (OLN/OLD).
Your hub will have either a 6-bolt or centrelock disc. The new wheel needs the same (so the disc can be transferred).
On the current cassette count the number of teeth on your smallest and largest sprockets and that tells you what 10speed cassette you need eg 12-32.
10sp chain.
Given you "haven't got a clue what [you] need to order" I recommend you remove the current wheel and take it to your local bike shop. They will have all you need and can sell you it ready to go or the bare wheel (plus cassette, chain, tools - see @Cycleops post) for you to assemble.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ashley348

Edit: Other than saying I'm not going to comment on it, the idea of a two year old rebuilt (sic) wheel which 'breaks spokes due to corrosion' is a worry (but not for me).
Read the side of the rear tyre. It will tell you the width of the tyre (eg 622-37, 37mm wide) the frame will take, and the size of the wheel.
You can transfer the current tyre and tube.
Wheel will be something like 622-19 (622 is the notional diameter and 19 is the internal rim width (mm))
Count the number of spokes, but 32 will be good anyway, more is fine.
Its hub needs to have a 'freehub' for 8/9/10sp and for a disc.
The hub needs to be QR (and may come with a QR skewer or you can use the current one). Hub is probably 135mm 'over lock nut distance' (OLN/OLD).
Your hub will have either a 6-bolt or centrelock disc. The new wheel needs the same (so the disc can be transferred).
On the current cassette count the number of teeth on your smallest and largest sprockets and that tells you what 10speed cassette you need eg 12-32.
10sp chain.
Given you "haven't got a clue what [you] need to order" I recommend you remove the current wheel and take it to your local bike shop. They will have all you need and can sell you it ready to go or the bare wheel (plus cassette, chain, tools - see @Cycleops post) for you to assemble.
Thanks, yeah I haven't got a clue, 1997 came, I learnt to drive and cycling took a back seat!! TBF to the guy's who rebuilt the wheel they told me it would be best to replace the rim too, I didn't. Plus, I've never once cleaned the bike, so that probably doesn't help either. I've probably done 5000 miles since then, and the roads here are terrible.

Ok, thanks guy's, I'll try and sort this out, thanks for your help!!😃

OP
OP
A

ashley348

The wheel is the first thing I'm going to do just so I'm mobile again. The tyre has 28x15/8 x1.1/2 40-622 700x38C on the side wall!!!! Gosh this is confusing.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
that will guide you correct sized tyre on any website. if you clean all the shoot off the cassette its size will be revealed or you can count the teeth and number of sprockets. i'm guessing its a 10 speed 11-34.

watch a few park tool videos on youtube

Top Bottom