Whyte Stirling overhaul

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
OK, I think they're 6 bolt, and it's a 10 speed cassette.
Nothing to do with the cassette. You'll see the six Allen bolts on the disc or they will be absent for centre lock.

Reactions: C R

Ajax Bay

Guru
I said: "plus cassette, chain, tools - see @Cycleops post"
To save you all that trouble 'looking for it' here's the post:
I assume you're planning to do this yourself so you'll also need a few tools. A chain cutter, a cassette removal tool and a chain whip plus a few assorted spanners and Allen keys.
And anticipating your next two questions :laugh::laugh:
Cheap chain tools will not last, but longevity may be less important to you than cost.
https://bike.bikegremlin.com/614/chain-length-sizing-for-bicycles-with-derailleurs/

Last edited:

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Yes, don’t mind @T4tomo Finish with a centre link roller at each end rather than an outer. The quick link will then fit between the two as here:

Plenty of videos on YouTube if you’re unsure.

Not everyone is mechanically adept so just take your time and get it right.

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

ashley348

Ok, thanks guy's. It seems there's a link you can split, with some special pliers? Years ago just used to use a chain splitting tool?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
There are some special pliers but you can use a length of soft wire or Bowden brake cable. Pass the wire trough the two sides of the link and twist the two together with some pliers to pull them together. Bit of a pain but should work.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Ok, thanks guy's. It seems there's a link you can split, with some special pliers? Years ago just used to use a chain splitting tool?
No need for a tool to FIT the chain (and see above for ways to disconnect the quicklink on the one currently fitted). Chains (KMC or SRAM) will come with a 'quick link' which needs no tool to join. But they will also come too long. You need to work out (see the link I offered) how many links the chain needs to be and cut the un-needed links off with a chain tool (splitter). Then fit chain and join with the quicklink.

OP
OP
A

ashley348

No need for a tool to FIT the chain (and see above for ways to disconnect the quicklink on the one currently fitted). Chains (KMC or SRAM) will come with a 'quick link' which needs no tool to join. But they will also come too long. You need to work out (see the link I offered) how many links the chain needs to be and cut the un-needed links off with a chain tool (splitter). Then fit chain and join with the quicklink.
Can I just remove the quick links and join the chain conventionally?

Top Bottom