Whyte Stirling v3 (or Pimlico v3) ... Great bike for money or just OK?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Trek? Giant?
Irrelevent. I couldn't care less about brand, as long as it fits and feels good. They are just two brands I'm considering.
This one could run and run - possibly making some of Accy's threads looking like a benchmark in brevity. 😂
Glad to provide some amusement for you. It must be nice to have so much cash that blowing it on something not fully tried, thought out or fully suited doesn't matter.
For the second time: marginal fit issues can often be sorted with different stem/seat post options. I I know, but it can also turn into a case of Cinderella's slipper! or even worse 'Frankenbike'

vickster

Legendary Member
Not really a Frankenbike if you're simply changing one black stem or seatpost for another (many cyclists end up sticking backs or GPS mounts on seatpost and stem anyow)

OP
OP
Sloth

Sloth

Not really a Frankenbike if you're simply changing one black stem or seatpost for another (many cyclists end up sticking backs or GPS mounts on seatpost and stem anyow)
You know what I meant Vickster, small 'tweaks' like changing a stem is one thing, but it it would be easy to go down the rabbit hole of adapting a bike so much that it should make you question if it was right in the first place?

I'm not talking about customising over time as you and your riding evolves, I'm talking about having to mess around with it and swap parts out right from new, to a large degree just to make it suitable in the first place.

vickster

Legendary Member
You know what I meant Vickster, small 'tweaks' like changing a stem is one thing, but it it would be easy to go down the rabbit hole of adapting a bike so much that it should make you question if it was right in the first place?

I'm not talking about customising over time as you and your riding evolves, I'm talking about having to mess around with it and swap parts out right from new, to a large degree just to make it suitable in the first place.

I've never had to really do that on a stock bike. I think you are taking overthinking to a new level :smile:

However, this is part of the reason why 3 of my roadbikes bikes are essentially custom builds for me - not least as most bikes are designed with the male sizing ratios in mind for someone who is about 5'10 (and come with Shimano groupsets which I would never choose)!

The other two bikes were second hand but on one I have already changed stem and bars (plus saddle of course)

Unless you are a completely odd shape (unlikely) then you are unlikely to hit that as an issue.

You've done your research - you've taken every step you possibly can - if it goes wrong - it wasn't through you being careless or rushing your selection process.

Sure £1000 - £1500 is a decent wedge of cash - but in the highly unlikely event of it all going wrong it's a not a life changing amount. Plus you can recoup slot from selling the bike on.

If it makes you feel any better - the one bike I brought I was sure would be right. (Knew the brand, knew the geometry, decent reviews) turned out to be a complete bag of nails - I ended up writting off the frame £1800 down the toilet - life goes on.

Top Bottom