Whyte Suffolk 2015

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
I appear to have stopped riding to work due to the fact i now have to carry my laptop with me and can't stand wearing a backpack. So, this is clearly grounds for a new commuter bike that has eyelets for a rack.

Whilst im being practical, I would also like to add disc brakes. For some reason that I can't quite justify or explain, I also want 11 speed. Finally, it has to be 105 or above as I don't like cables sticking out of the shifters.

I could sit here and tell you all that it would be good have something for occasional off-road use but realistically I have an MTB for that so it doesn't need to be a full on CX bike, plus I'm not keen on CX specific gearing.

Went to a not so local LBS on Sunday and they showed me this :

5279-17187-full-suffolk-90.jpg

The only other bike under £1500 that sort of floats my boat is a Genesis Equilibrium of some sort... But I told myself if I had a Genesis it would be a Ti and that's out of budget right now...ideally I didn't want to spend more than a grand as I'll put this purchase through my limited company for the tax saving. I can stretch to £1200 for the above Whyte though, I think.

So can anyone shed light on anything I might have missed? I'd be quite happy if someone can point me in the direction of a disc equipped Ti frame with 105 11 speed lol...

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
You haven't missed a thing- it's very high on my C2W list, ticking all the boxes in the right places, the only real negative from the Bikes Etc. magazine review this month was that it's a smidge on the heavy side and likened to a diesel of the bike world, steady mile cruncher that'll keep you going all day but unlikely to necessarily beat all your PR's.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
You haven't missed a thing- it's very high on my C2W list, ticking all the boxes in the right places, the only real negative from the Bikes Etc. magazine review this month was that it's a smidge on the heavy side and likened to a diesel of the bike world, steady mile cruncher that'll keep you going all day but unlikely to necessarily beat all your PR's.

Thats a negative I can deal with, I have a full carbon for the PR's

I can't find a reason not to buy it now lol..my wife on the other hand....

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
A friend has recently bought one for a winter bike and has no regrets. Worth fitting the excellent Whyte mudguards, the only flaw being they could do with an extended flap at the rear, particularly if you ride with others.

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
It does have rack mounts too. One in my lbs yesterday.. I want one

I see you're in Hampshire too, any recommendations for a good LBS?

OP
OP
JoeyB

JoeyB

Go on, tilt your head!
Peter Hansfords in Winchester. They have other branches but they all seem a bit different. And their website is rubbish!

Ah yes I use the one in Park Gate / Fareham. There is a nice chap in there that is often willing to stop and chat. He took me downstairs to the workshop once to show me the older bikes they had in to work on.

Wafer

Veteran
I was seriously looking at the Whyte Dorset in the summer, looked a perfectly good bike, felt alright sat on it, ended up with a Synapse as much because the shop was more helpful and were able to give me the 105 spec on C2W as anything.
I'm not sure about the rack mounts as I use a backpack for a short commute but Synapse disc with 105 is £999 now.
http://www.evanscycles.com/products/cannondale/synapse-alloy-105-disc-2015-road-bike-ec071021

Fitting mudguards was annoyingly fiddly but there are fixings for them. I was for a time wishing I'd gone for the Whyte so I could get their own brand guards that I assumed would be a lot easier to get on!

There are a large number of us Synapse 105 owners on here though so even if it does tick the boxes the Whyte would be much more exclusive I'm sure :smile:

Top Bottom