Wickford/Basildon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The new bike has arrived and we went out for an inaugural spin on Saturday. Managed about 27 miles on a figure 8 loop around Hanningfield Reservior circling back near South Woodham https://www.strava.com/activities/444614021 before my legs gave up. This brings my mileage up to a whopping circa 75 miles since August 2013. The other mileage was done over a couple of rides in Jan / February this year so to say I have lost some fitness would be a massive understatement.

So lets see if we can resurrect this thread and arrange a ride over the coming weeks - who's in? also looking at the fnrttc southend run in March

I go out every Sunday morning with Essex roads cc from Billericay. They leave at 9am and meet up in car park at back of Iceland.
I have tried Essex roads before and they seemed quite good my only trouble is that it's a 12-13 mile trip before I even start the club run which will be fine for rides that come back sort of hanningfiled/wickford/woodham type of way but having to add another 12.5 if the ride goes south or west of Billericay makes it tough. I can't drive to the start as we are only a 1 car household

That's a pretty good average speed for someone who hasn't been out in a while.:okay:
Count me in for a ride(weather permitting).
Nice one. I do not believe the average that Strava came back with. I used to manage that sort of average when I was riding regular back in 2013 and my ride on Saturday felt far slower and more painful than that. I would say it was 14-15mph at best as I really struggled on the hills. so was quite shocked.

Dave the Smeghead

Über Member
Happy to meet up for a ride - rather miffed with just commuting and the Giant is begging to be taken out again.
Just don't think I will have time between now and Christmas. Having to do some refurbing on the house plus the usual Christmas stuff of getting the decs up, buying pressies and food and beer (and maybe just a bit of drinking the beer too :cheers:)

I'm still going out at the moment as it's been so unseasonable mild but that's going to get less and less as winter progresses,then it's going to be the ol' boring turbo trainer:banghead:.

Let's see how the weather is after the new year.

Diggs

Veteran
T'was very windy last weekend but I'm glad I got out (kind of getting to love the winter bike again). Looking like a tight schedule this weekend with the kids and I doubt I'll even make the LBS ride Saturday :sad:.
Still, this time next week I'll have finished for Chrimbo (assuming there's no disasters at work) so if anyone is about... (well once I've been through the Radio Times with a highlighter)

Dan Ferris

Über Member
I've been out around Southend / Leigh area having invested in winter clothing even been out when it's been around 5 degrees, loving it this year.

I'd be happy to meet up, not brave enough to rock up to a club ride on my own yet but a social sounds good.

I've been out around Southend / Leigh area having invested in winter clothing even been out when it's been around 5 degrees, loving it this year.

I'd be happy to meet up, not brave enough to rock up to a club ride on my own yet but a social sounds good.

Happy to meet up for a social however I will have stiches after a minor op so will have to wait a week a couple of weeks until they heal

I've just rejoined the Wheelers and went on their 10am ride details here https://www.strava.com/activities/467252627 (includes riding to/from approx 12 miles) you can see the speeds weren't mental at all, they are avery friendly bunch too so you don't have to be that brave either. about three or four newbies that day as well. Happy to arrange one Sunday to meet at their club house a little earlier if you want to come along so you don't have to walk in alone as to be fair I can understand why that could feel a little intimidating

Ian193

Über Member
Happy to meet up for a social however I will have stiches after a minor op so will have to wait a week a couple of weeks until they heal

I've just rejoined the Wheelers and went on their 10am ride details here https://www.strava.com/activities/467252627 (includes riding to/from approx 12 miles) you can see the speeds weren't mental at all, they are avery friendly bunch too so you don't have to be that brave either. about three or four newbies that day as well. Happy to arrange one Sunday to meet at their club house a little earlier if you want to come along so you don't have to walk in alone as to be fair I can understand why that could feel a little intimidating

Hello fellow Wheeler
Are you doing the burnham baddow on the 7th February I'm hoping to do the 25 mile route

Diggs

Veteran
The problem I always have is the Diglet's events (usually rugby over the winter) on Sunday. Otherwise I'd have continued with Essex Roads. That's why the LBS rides on Saturday have been so handy
Manflu has gone and days are marginally longer so fingers crossed I'll get out more and get some training in for the event I've signed up for at Easter

Dan Ferris

Über Member

Thank you that would be really good, it would be good to get involved in a local club as well. Keep me posted on here when you are hoping to make it and we can hopefully be around at the same time.

Hello fellow Wheeler
Are you doing the burnham baddow on the 7th February I'm hoping to do the 25 mile route

Hi Ian - what is this event, is it open to anyone or just members?

Top Bottom