Wide range IRD cassette with Campagnolo long cage mech

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Has anybody got experience of using a ludicrously wide range cassette with a Campagnolo 10sp long cage mech (Comp triple)? I'm considering it with a compact crankset. Chain capacity on the mech is 39 which would allow 50/34 at the front with an 11-34 cassette at the rear.

But... the mech is only spec'd to work with a 29 tooth largest sprocket, so I'm a bit concerned that the mech may rub on a 34 tooth. Any thoughts? I guess it must work to some extent or IRD wouldn't be selling them...

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hadn't spotted that possibility.

I wanted a wider range of gears and achieved it by keeping my 13-29 cassette and replacing the chainset with a Stronglight Impact triple from Spa Cycles. With some tweaking, my double front mech worked. The rear mech also worked with the addition of a small Coke can shim under the Campag equivalent of the 'b-screw'. The left shifter had enough clicks available to cover the range needed for a triple.

I'm fairly sure that I described what I did in the 'What have you fettled today thread'.

I haven't tried a compact chainset. I find that a 28 tooth little ring with a 29 tooth sprocket is a nice low gear. I use a 36 tooth middle ring and do much of my riding on that. I currently have a 48 tooth big ring and very rarely feel that my 48/13 top gear isn't high enough. Maybe when I get fitter I will change to a 12-29 cassette and/or a 50 tooth big ring.

accountantpete

Brexiteer
You can usually get away with small increases over what Campagnolo say but the Upper Jockey Wheel is in more or less the the same place as on a standard cage rear mech so I think it will rub on a 34 sprocket.

OP
OP
winjim

winjim

Smash the cistern
I hadn't spotted that possibility.

I wanted a wider range of gears and achieved it by keeping my 13-29 cassette and replacing the chainset with a Stronglight Impact triple from Spa Cycles. With some tweaking, my double front mech worked. The rear mech also worked with the addition of a small Coke can shim under the Campag equivalent of the 'b-screw'. The left shifter had enough clicks available to cover the range needed for a triple.

I'm fairly sure that I described what I did in the 'What have you fettled today thread'.

I haven't tried a compact chainset. I find that a 28 tooth little ring with a 29 tooth sprocket is a nice low gear. I use a 36 tooth middle ring and do much of my riding on that. I currently have a 48 tooth big ring and very rarely feel that my 48/13 top gear isn't high enough. Maybe when I get fitter I will change to a 12-29 cassette and/or a 50 tooth big ring.
Obviously the usual way to get the range I'm after would be to use a triple, and in fact a standard road triple with a 13-29 would give similar ratios. I just quite like the simplicity of a double and with 10speed, the jumps between ratios, even on a wide range cassette, aren't too great.

I'll take a butcher's at the fettle thread. :okay:

You can usually get away with small increases over what Campagnolo say but the Upper Jockey Wheel is in more or less the the same place as on a standard cage rear mech so I think it will rub on a 34 sprocket.
Yes that's my feeling. I could probably get away with a 32 though. Trouble is, those IRD cassettes ain't cheap, so I can't get one just to try.

Top Bottom