Wife has agreed to let me have a dog! now trying to decide what breed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Aye my dog does like a bit of entertainment but so do I and we compliment each other perfectly

I'm afraid that, much as I like Collies, I wouldn't want to get one unless I knew I could truly do it justice, be there for it during the day, etc.
I have seen a few people down at the local common with a Collie that seems to be bored rigid despite there being a ball for it to fetch.

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

I'm afraid that, much as I like Collies, I wouldn't want to get one unless I knew I could truly do it justice, be there for it during the day, etc.
I have seen a few people down at the local common with a Collie that seems to be bored rigid despite there being a ball for it to fetch.

yeah I eel the same way about collies. Not sure I could really do one justice, I probably could but i've seen what happens when you dont

bigjim

Legendary Member
I don't have a dog. However I think one of lifes joys is to go for a walk with a dog. Not on a lead but out in the open somehow, just you and the dog. I'm quite envious of dog owners sometimes.
I spent a lot of my childhood on a family farm in Ireland. There was always a dog at my heels. We explored far and wide. Probably not that far but for a small boy it seemed that way.
I believe every young lad [yea I know. Sexist] should have a dog if possible.
I'd still have one now if my wife was not totally opposed to the idea. Though I must admit walking home with a bag of dog poo in one hand does not appeal. Or even scraping it up in the first place.

Herbie

Veteran
I don't have a dog. However I think one of lifes joys is to go for a walk with a dog. Not on a lead but out in the open somehow, just you and the dog. I'm quite envious of dog owners sometimes.
I spent a lot of my childhood on a family farm in Ireland. There was always a dog at my heels. We explored far and wide. Probably not that far but for a small boy it seemed that way.
I'd still have one now if my wife was not totally opposed to the idea. Though I must admit walking home with a bag of dog poo in one hand does not appeal. Or even scraping it up in the first place.

Its a big responsibility having a dog or any animal....wouldn't be without my dog...hes just a joy

OP
OP
kerndog

kerndog

I totally agree! Always wanted one as a kid but was never lucky enough, had to settle family friends dogs. Really looking forward to my kids having the pleasure of a hound.
My wife was also totally against it but 12 months of strategic pestering paid off, oh and getting all of the kids on board helped :smile:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
When my mum objected to us getting a dog, it was mostly on the grounds that it would end up being mostly her that had to look after it, take it for walks etc. She was probably right.

Then we moved abroad and rented a house from some folks working away for a few years, and they had left their dog with the house.....

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
I used to have a dog and a cat many years ago. To be honest I was so upset when they both died of old age that I have never been able to bring myself to buy another one.

The thought of the dog dying is just too upseting for me.

mooseracer

Guru

We re-homed a Collie a couple of years ago and I was a little worried he might be a bit of a handful after our previous Golden Retriever. Granted he spends less time sleeping and farting than his predecessor and more time running and being OCD but he's nowhere near as much work as I expected.

I probably wouldn't recommend one as a first dog though, though they certainly fit the bill for leading an active life

Linford

Seeing as this is a dog thread, here are a couple from my daughters bitch's litter taken a few days ago
1380862_10151901519078704_329573143_n.jpg

1371620_10151901502798704_173941806_n.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Or even scraping it up in the first place.

Oh I don't know, it can help keep your hands warm in the winter!
Seriously though, warm poo is considerably more plesant to pick up than it being cold, take it from an expert! :giggle:

When my mum objected to us getting a dog, it was mostly on the grounds that it would end up being mostly her that had to look after it, take it for walks etc. She was probably right.

Indeed, we always wanted a dog, and my Mum had had a Boxer (called Cindy - Our current Cindy is 'Cindy the 2nd') when she was young but the same excuse was given by my both her and my Dad. They were most probably right too.

Then we moved abroad and rented a house from some folks working away for a few years, and they had left their dog with the house.....

What happened to it?

I used to have a dog and a cat many years ago. To be honest I was so upset when they both died of old age that I have never been able to bring myself to buy another one.
The thought of the dog dying is just too upseting for me.

It is schmalzy and has a few holes if you are to think about it too much, but I always think about it as being like what a kid once said when their parents were upset at the death of the pet dog:

'People need to live a long time to learn to love properly, but a dog knows how to love from being a puppy. They bring so much joy and happiness that to do what they do, they don't need to live as long.'

Out of the mouths of babes.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
We were in Malta. Loads of stray dogs everywhere, nothing like animal shelters etc as far as we knew. And quite difficult to take dogs back to the UK then - she would have had to be in quarantine for 6 months, I think.
I think she had originally been a stray, taken in by the owners of the house. My parents thought it was better to have her put down after a happy life than letting her become a stray again, or having her isolated for 6 months. She didn't take well to being left even when we went away for a few days - must have felt abandoned by the first owners.

Top Bottom