Wife has agreed to let me have a dog! now trying to decide what breed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Leodis

Veteran
Sensible wife.... they are working dogs for a reason.

Because they are use shorthand?

When I retire... In 40 years time :sad:

Crossbreed. For a family pet they are ideal. We currrently have 3 dogs, 2 Chesapeake Bay Retreivers for gundog work, and a border collie for flyball racing. All are family pets as well, but all get the necesssary excersise and mental stimulation from their respective work activities. Our first dog, now deceased, was a whippet cross and was a beautiful dog, good natured, very bidabble, well trained dog that had nerly 16 years of very, very happy life.

Crossbreeds also tend to be largley free from the inherited medical complaints associated with pedigree dogs, e.g. hips, eye, skin and behavioural traits.

There are also plenly of crossbreeds in need of homes.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
[QUOTE 2723584, member: 76"]This is our 14 week old Beagle puppy. We 'negotiated' for years, and then finally got the go-ahead from MrsMaggot. He is a lovely puppy, but the snoring!!! Jeeez, none of the books mentioned the Beagle snoring, which apparantly is completely common...

View attachment 31195 [/quote]
Does he have to go outside when he wants a tab?

(*takes taxi back to the home for old jokes)

Paul99

Über Member
Staffies are fine.

I would echo what has already been said about play fighting with your kids around ANY dog, but one thing to bear in mind.....

If, and I mean IF, whatever dog you get does happen to one day bite one of your kids and it DOES happen even with the most placid of dogs, would you prefer your dog to bite and let go or bite and hold on. Consider this when you are buying your dog.

I wouldn't get a dog from a re-homing centre in your situation because you can never fully know the dog's history, and I would also search out a well regarded breeder - ask for references i.e when you choose a breeder ask to speak with some of their previous customers, especially if you are going for a breed such as a staffie as a lot of people breed dogs like this purely for the money and don't give a stuff about the dogs. The resultant poor health issues that usually occur in these situations may end up costing you.

One last thing.......I am not jealous at all. You lucky git.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
OK ...unless you can't help yourself.:smile:

I just think, you are going to have the animal for many years, so you do not wan't to have any doubts about your choice else you will resent it. I will admit to making that mistake in the past.

I nearly doubled up and made the same mistake again a year ago, after several years of wanting a Persian cat (I had no interest in other cats, in fact I had never been much of a cat person, I just really liked the breed), an acquaintance who was moving and could no longer keep her 2 cats asked me if I wanted to adopt them, I spent several afternoons playing with them and nearly took them, they were very nice cats as far as cats go, but at the end of the day, they just weren't Persian cats, so I ended up not taking them, several months later I found a local breeder of Persians with a good rep and got a Persian cat and despite the typical health problems (runny eyes, crap nose etc), I couldn't be happier with the decision!

[QUOTE 2724022, member: 9609"]What an amazing looking dog, what make and model ? It looks like a slightly deranged teddy bear[/quote]
I don't know TBH?

Doseone

Guru
Of course, it's absolutely not true that owners choose dogs that look like themselves.

article-1166927-043FFB75000005DC-961_468x310.jpg

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
Staffies are fine.

I would echo what has already been said about play fighting with your kids around ANY dog, but one thing to bear in mind.....

I still get the impression that the thread has still not been read fully by some (This being edited as it was a misunderstanding/bad wording on my part Paul). Its not the dog the kid would be wrestling. If it was, then yes I'd agree with not getting a dog.

well my thought was that (although we will train the kids as well as the dog to respect each other) my boy is a strong lad who likes a wrestle (with me) and I need a dog that can play along to a degree and wont be scared/get aggressive if he takes things a step too far, which no matter how much I educate him in the way of the dog, he will do at some point. I've read that certain types of dogs really dont mix well with kids. Make sense?
sorry think you miss understood, my boy wont be wrestling with the dog, only me, but he is bound to over step the mark at some point as all kids do, no matter what you say.

Which breeds shouldn't you play tug of war with? That's a great fact I knew nothing about, I thought all dogs loved a bit of tug of war

I wouldn't get a dog from a re-homing centre in your situation because you can never fully know the dog's history,

But you never know that about ANY dog, not even how a puppy will turn out.

ASK THE RESCUE CENTRE STAFF to recommend a dog, they know the dogs better than anyone there AND know what happened to them in their previous life. Any member of rescue centre staff worth their salt will have a pretty good feel for things and wont rehome a dog unless they are sure. Almost all dogs in that situation are just glad to be given another chance anyway, grateful in fact, and yet, don't think the world somehow owes them anything like a pedigree or a Puppy who has never known hardship might.

especially if you are going for a breed such as a staffie as a lot of people breed dogs like this purely for the money and don't give a stuff about the dogs

Any breed of dog, if bred unscrupulously or then abandoned by their owners is potentially contributing to the problem of thousands of dogs that are homeless through no fault of their own. And Christmas is coming up too..... The f*ckwit season!!

Last edited:
I will always recommend an ex/retired/injured/ useless greyhound. They require no exercise bar 2 x 10 minute walks, they are placid and lazy preferring to spend life horizontal. They are great for allergy sufferers shedding a lot less than other breeds. Although they can be a little reserved, but once they get to know you they are very cuddly and affectionate and are ime great with kids (we have 3 grandchildren Eldest is 6) They are not throw a stick for dogs though and until you are 150% certain of your dog they are not let off the lead and run (they are sighthounds, can spot a rabbit miles away and having been trained to, will go for it. On the lead however they are generally placid.)

It is possible for some greyhounds to live happily with cats.
DSC01850.jpg

Staffies are much maligned dogs that have been overbred by chavs because they look 'ard innit. Rescues are over run with the poor critters and you are as likely to get a good calm staffie as any other breed. They do need a lot of exercise and entertaining though. Whilst I wouldn't be put off owning one if your oh is against the idea from the start it is going to be a while before she trusts the dog and it will pick up on this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom