Wiggins is now pro-compulsion it seems .... Nobber.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
I always love a pro-helmet comment, it generally starts off with a reasonable 'it's up to you whether you wear one or not' but invariably ends with 'until you fall off and hit your head' or 'if you're happy to be spoon fed and have your bottom wiped for you due to brain damage', etc., etc.

You've got more chance being spoon fed and bottom wiped by becoming an MP rather than by being brain damaged due to noggin failure post helmetless bike fall.

Last edited:

benb

Evidence based cyclist
I always love a pro-helmet comment, it generally starts off with a reasonable 'it's up to you whether you wear one or not' but invariably ends with 'until you fall off and hit your head' or 'if you're happy to be spoon fed and have your bottom wiped for you due to brain damage', etc., etc.

You've got more chance being spoon fed and bottom wiped by becoming an MP rather than brain damaged due to noggin failure post helmetless bike fall.

I remember one comment from someone suggesting that an injured cyclist who hadn't been wearing a helmet should have to pay for their own NHS treatment. Lovely.

Joffey

Big Dosser
Just out of interest why is wearing a helmet a detrimental thing? Apart from the looks... Is there evidence to say you are more likely to get brain damage by hitting your head on the floor with a helmet on?

benb

Evidence based cyclist
Just out of interest why is wearing a helmet a detrimental thing? Apart from the looks... Is there evidence to say you are more likely to get brain damage by hitting your head on the floor with a helmet on?

There is some evidence to suggest they might increase rotational injuries in some situations.

There is irrefutable evidence showing that helmet compulsion drastically slashes the number of regular cyclists, whilst not improving head injury ratios.
There is also evidence that even helmet promotion puts people off cycling.

Forcing children to wear plastic hats when they ride a bike is like forcing them to smoke. It's abuse. It means the child is much more likely to have an impact which rotates their head and snaps their spinal cord.

Drago

Legendary Member
And despite 20 plus years of common helmet use in Western countries there is still no evidence to suggest you are less likely to sustain a brain injury with a helmet on. And that the problem - if someone produces the proof that they actually work the compulsion is a hard argument to counter, but as it currently stands a lucky rabbits foot has statistically as much chance of preventing death or serious head injuries, yet no one is campigning for rabbit foot carrying compulsion.

screenman

Legendary Member
My problem is that he is being paid for his opinion

Got any proof of that?

I expect money changed hands. Why was that photo in the paper? And that jacket? I suspect without any proof that Mr Tidy Beard wanted his face in the paper and Sir Bradley Sideburns obliged but not free of charge.

Sir Bradley spoke during a visit to the Standard’s offices to receive the good wishes of the paper’s owner, Evgeny Lebedev, for his attempt to set a new world hour record at the Olympics velodrome.

Mmmmm.

screenman

Legendary Member
Now I do not expect my helmet to protect me against brain damage in the case of a major wallop, I do hope that it will help protect against abrasions to the head area when in a minor incident.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom