Wiggle bike weight question rejected - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You know where to report misleading adverts that you suspect to be false: www.ASA.org.uk
I don't really know if they could make any sort of ruling, unless there was some regulation or agreement on what a bike should way. Halfords sells plenty of bikes that weigh 14 or 15kg, so you could easily make a claim that a 12kg bike was lightweight.

In fact, look at this
  • Frame: Lightweight aluminium [..]
  • Brakes: Lightweight aluminium V-brake for controlled braking [..]
Approximate Weight (KG): 14.9kg

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I don't really know if they could make any sort of ruling, unless there was some regulation or agreement on what a bike should way. Halfords sells plenty of bikes that weigh 14 or 15kg, so you could easily make a claim that a 12kg bike was lightweight.

In fact, look at this
Point taken. But they do quote an approximate weight. Which was what the OP was looking for. Well, probably not a figure of 14.9kg....

Putting down the weight with or without components is quite easy. We see some of them do it - including frame weight. There are lot more complex things in bike manufacturing and retailing than providing the weight. There are host of reasons why folks are keen to find the weight. Some just don't want to lug a heavy bike up a flight of stairs Others want to know the weight just to get that little edge or margins when doing climbs. The matter is compounded when a bike retailed as light weight but there is no weight data given or refused to be given.

Its funny when we all spend awful lot of time talking about T1000, T700 carbon, 6061alu alloy, Columbus steel, `Reynolds 531 etc but we struggle get the something as simple or basic as the weight.

At the end of the day nobody in his right mind wants a heavier bike if all other things are equal. Tell me otherwise.

outlash

also available in orange
Its funny when we all spend awful lot of time talking about T1000, T700 carbon, 6061alu alloy, Columbus steel, `Reynolds 531 etc but we struggle get the something as simple or basic as the weight.

At the end of the day nobody in his right mind wants a heavier bike if all other things are equal. Tell me otherwise.

We don't all spend an awful lot of time talking about frame materials because sane people know that the frame is one part of a bike and there's a whole pile of components that influence how the complete bike is. And how much it weighs. If anything, there's more threads on this forum on weight (and the quest to have less of it) than frame materials by a large margin.

Customers are highly swayed by bike weight.

Do you really think Wiggle wants to compete here? I doubt it. Manufacturers certainly do not.

The assumption is that all customers have no idea what they are buying. If they can work out the type of carbon fibre, type of steel etc so they are not paying over the top when there are comparable products that are cheaper why not reveal the weight. It is something that as customers we must not let them get away with especially if it is retailed as "lightweight"

I saw the specs, its 6061, so what makes it lightweight compared to other 6061s vast majority of which do not mention lightweight? I think this is the gist of OPs question.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
If you want a real light weight bike, shop elsewhere!
I already have a sub 8kg carbon framed Ultegra bike, and 3 others, and have been riding for over 50 years so I'm not an innocent first time buyer. I'm thinking of getting an inexpensive flat bar hybrid-ish bike to use for a period after a possible hip operation. All things being more or less equal I will buy the lightest. I still don't see why it is so difficult for a large supplier to answer a simple question - and reject it - 'Your questions are very important to us and the Wiggle community. We appreciate you taking the time to ask a question about Avanti Giro F 2 (2016). Unfortunately, your question did not meet our guidelines for posting on our site'.
A bicycle's weight is irrelevant. It is not like you are baking a cake or mixing chemicals where the reaction is dependent on ratio's of ingredients. Go for a ride, drink beer and leave weight talk to the NHS.
- as for this, the post is irrelevant, not bike weight

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
Downhilling?

my point was the ASA couldn't make a ruling that the bike wasn't lightweight - well, unless it weighed 20 kg - and even then they'd probably need to engage some sort of expert to say that isnt light weight
I agree that the ASA wouldn't rule that the bike wasn't lightweight unless it was outrageously heavier than average, but they can rule that the claim is unsubstantiated and therefore misleading.

Top Bottom