Wiggle bike weight question rejected - why?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Just received a message rejecting my query re the weight of Avanti Giro F 2 (2016) hybrid bike. Wondering why? There is no way I am even going to consider buying a bike without some idea of it's weight. Their description says 'The Avanti Giro F 2 has a carbon fork and alloy frame making it lightweight and easy to handle', and mentions a 'lightweight alloy frame', and a 'Light weight Alloy wheelset'. Without quantifying these claims this is all pointless waffle. It's not difficult Wiggle, all you need is a bathroom scale, or a luggage scale :thumbsdown:

Drago

Legendary Member
You could go ride it and see for yourself?

The other side of the coin, is that there's no universal standard for manufacturers quoted weights, with some quoting ready-to-ride, others quoting without tyres, tubes and pedals. You wouldn't know how realistic any quoted weight might be, and it wouldn't even be useful as a comparison against another manufacturers wares.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

You could go ride it and see for yourself?

The other side of the coin, is that there's no universal standard for manufacturers quoted weights, with some quoting ready-to-ride, others quoting without tyres, tubes and pedals. You wouldn't know how realistic any quoted weight might be, and it wouldn't even be useful as a comparison against another manufacturers wares.
I just want an idea, not accurate to a tenth of a gram - other dealers manage to do this - not difficult for them to specify what they are weighing - pedals or not, frame size etc. Tell me, just where can I test ride this bike?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Drago is correct. Adding different things on the same frame gives different weights, which is why most manufacturers dont show the weight.

How far do you intend to carry it ^_^

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Drago is correct. Adding different things on the same frame gives different weights, which is why most manufacturers dont show the weight.

How far do you intend to carry it ^_^
What different things? What do you mean? I just want to know the weight of the bike as advertised. The only thing that might cause the weight to vary on this model will be the frame if the components are the same on all sizes.
As far as I can tell it is exclusive to Wiggle (and available from some Australian shops) so a test ride is out of the question

Milkfloat

An Peanut
On the flip side Wiggle are very selective in their use of queries and reviews. They claim to have an automated system to sort the wheat from the chaff, if they do it is a crap system.

They are better than Halford's who reject pretty much any negative review.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not ask one of the Australian retailers?

Or phone wiggle,I expect they won't tell you as they don't actually know. And don't want to unbox one

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

On the flip side Wiggle are very selective in their use of queries and reviews. They claim to have an automated system to sort the wheat from the chaff, if they do it is a crap system.

I can only assume it's blxxdy heavy then.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

Why not ask one of the Australian retailers?
Good point

MikeW-71

Veteran
@Drago is spot on, I agree. Giant also don't quote weights, as the weight is different for different frame sizes and components fitted. They point out that the best way to find the weight of their bikes is to pop to a dealer and get hands-on with one.

Looking at the style of the Avanti, I'm going to guess 11-12kg

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

@Drago is spot on, I agree. Giant also don't quote weights, as the weight is different for different frame sizes and components fitted. They point out that the best way to find the weight of their bikes is to pop to a dealer and get hands-on with one.

Looking at the style of the Avanti, I'm going to guess 11-12kg
In the case of Wiggle you can't 'pop to a dealer and get hands-on with one', can you?.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

They do reject negative reviews, i did one on a pair of shorts and it kept being rejected no matter how i worded it , they refunded me the cost of them even though they were used rather than have a bad review.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

They do reject negative reviews, i did one on a pair of shorts and it kept being rejected no matter how i worded it , they refunded me the cost of them even though they were used rather than have a bad review.
It wasn't a negative review, just a simple question.
I see that the Decathlon Triban 520 is listed at 9.750 kg in size M, without pedals, so unless Wiggle can be more helpful that looks more interesting

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
It wasn't a negative review, just a simple question.
I see that the Decathlon Triban 520 is listed at 9.750 kg in size M, without pedals, so unless Wiggle can be more helpful that looks more interesting
Indeed , although i was replying to the part about the negative review and their "automated " system .Not the question about the weight of the bike.

Top Bottom