Wiggle down the pan

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Cycle sales seem to have hit something of a brick wall having enjoyed many years of growth. Evans having sixty stores are carrying all that overhead so are suffering.
- article dated July 2017, and refers to October '16-'17 - has the trend continued?

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The boss who made that excuse and the others got moved on a few months back for missing his targets. They are up to CEO number 3 in just a few short years.

- article dated July 2017, and refers to October '16-'17 - has the trend continued?
Expectations from the shareholders and owners are high so the CEOs have got a mountain to climb.
We'll only be able to tell how things are going when they publish their next set of results.
According to stats 2.3m new bikes were sold in 2017, thats 1m less than in the previous year.

OP
OP
e-rider

e-rider

crappy member
Never had a problem with Wiggle but I've been using Rose a lot recently particularly for things like brake pads, cassettes and chains if you manage to get your order up to about £90 it's free delivery and for things like this brake pads they are about half the price of Wiggle etc. Delivery very quick as well it usually takes about three days for it to arrive from Germany always the correct items delivered.
Yes but Rose will not be a viable option after Brexit!

Certainly clothing... and small stuff... and technical stuff.

I have ordered a few bits from online suppliers over the years. PlanetX sold me some dodgy cheap skullies that I couldn't be arsed to return, but everything else from there has been OK. Altura NightVIsion would have been over my budget for the kids but I spotted a particularly good deal once on Tredz. I think I've ordered some swimming stuff from Wiggle in the past - they were pretty good on stocking fat biffers size cozzies in the past - but they don't seem to have much in the lardy sizes these days.

I am lucky to live in a town with a number of decent LBSs. Despite not being a significant consumer of bikes (I've bought 2 new ones in the past 10 years) or bits for them I'm on first name terms with several of the staff at a couple of them. One of them once raided their discarded bits box and put the resulting potential-shinies through the parts cleaner to get me a box full of cool looking stuff for an animation project I was doing with some kids. I like the convenience of being able to go into a shop at a time that suits me and talk to a human if I need some help. Also one of them has a splendid cafe and who needs free haribo when you can buy a nice coffee and cake?

Last edited:

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I'm not that far from SJS Cycles, and I've dealt with them since Robin operated out of a small shop with a remarkably greasy carpet (50m up the road from the current vast space). So I tend to regard them as one of my LBSes. Not entirely logical, I know.

@Blue Hills on a serious note nobody knows yet. Based on the current state of play: best case scenario we will still be okay for Rose based bargains until the end of 2020:okay: worst case scenario, start stocking up on lights with sensible beam pattens now:wacko:.

Fully back on topic, I have found Wiggle customer service has been a bit “approximate” of late.

@Blue Hills on a serious note nobody knows yet. Based on the current state of play: best case scenario we will still be okay for Rose based bargains until the end of 2020:okay: worst case scenario, start stocking up on lights with sensible beam pattens now:wacko:.

Fully back on topic, I have found Wiggle customer service has been a bit “approximate” of late.

Re beam patterns, won't Lidl's lights be good for German beam patterns? I bought a Lidl 4 AA battery light a year or two ago - beam pattern not bad. Ditto a USB light. To complement 2 Hope Vision 1's and motley other lights.

Fair to assume that whatever happens Rose will want to keep its UK customers and will help them in some way?

Wiggle - delivery not as fast as it used to be but still not bad - they use a PO service which texts/emails you to tell you the day of delivery, if only on the day.

simonali

Guru
I've not ordered anything from Wiggle in ages because they never seem to have anything I'm looking for in stock!

Top Bottom