Wild swimming with Dr Alice Roberts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Maz

Guru
I love swimming in open water. However, a few years back went swimming at Blackpool beach and when I'd finished, I noticed a floating condom and a turd (think 'swimming pool scene from 'Caddy Shack', if you know that old film). Wish I'd seen those gross items before taking the swim!

snapper_37

Barbara Woodhouse's Love Child
Great programme. I enjoyed it so much that I ran down to the cut armed with just a towel. Then I saw the rubbish and greasy film. xx(

Would def like to give it a try but not in the buff!

U

User482

It occurs to me that both Alice Roberts and Brian Cox became professors after their TV careers blossomed...

ASC1951

Guru
Yes, I know. I happen to think it cheapens the title, that's all. Though not as much as converting a private company to a university, and conferring the title on yourself.

http://www.bpp.com/about-bpp/-/aboutBPP/carl-lygo
A gross distortion as usual, User482. In fact:-
- All universities grant their own professorships;
- BPP's status as a degree-awarding body is approved by an independent arm of Government and confirmed by the Privy Council;
- BPP's courses are recognised by the appropriate professional bodies and are amongst the most rigorous available. I know, because I have paid my own money to send people on them.

There are professors heading tiny departments in third rate universities up and down the country. Carl Lygo has a substantial career as an academic and adviser to HMG and on any unprejudiced view is well worth the title.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Cox got his chair in 2009, after only half a dozen Horizon programmes. Roberts's chair is in the Public Engagement in Science - specifically a media-don post. It seems to be Birmingham's attempt to follow in Oxford's footsteps with the egregious Dawkins and the excellent Du Sautoy.

User482 is absolutely right about BPP. There's a big difference between a university and a professional training firm, whatever the Privy Council might say.

(We pay money to BPP - it's a monopoly supplier of professional training courses in my profession - by dint of buying up the previous monopoly supplier.)

U

User482

A gross distortion as usual, User482. In fact:-
- All universities grant their own professorships;
- BPP's status as a degree-awarding body is approved by an independent arm of Government and confirmed by the Privy Council;
- BPP's courses are recognised by the appropriate professional bodies and are amongst the most rigorous available. I know, because I have paid my own money to send people on them.

There are professors heading tiny departments in third rate universities up and down the country. Carl Lygo has a substantial career as an academic and adviser to HMG and on any unprejudiced view is well worth the title.
Mis-informed claptrap.
I'm very well acquainted with the workings of bpp, and the views of their staff on Carl lygo's professorship. They agree with me and not you. I'm not going to say any more on a public forum so pm me if you wish.

thom

____
Ok... so being a gifted student at Manchester, getting a job at the worlds leading particle physics lab and doing more for the public face of physics then any scientist has since Albert Einsten, "cheapens" it does it?,,,

hmmmmm

Incorrect description of quantum mechanics on the public airwaves cheapens it.

U

User482

Ok... so being a gifted student at Manchester, getting a job at the worlds leading particle physics lab and doing more for the public face of physics then any scientist has since Albert Einsten, "cheapens" it does it?,,,

hmmmmm

Getting a job at a prestigious research laboratory doesn't get you a professorship, so we're left with communications as the reason - as srw points out, it happened after a very short time in the public conscience.

Regarding the public face of physics, you seem to have forgotten about Stephen Hawking and Carl Sagan.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Getting a job at a prestigious research laboratory doesn't get you a professorship, so we're left with communications as the reason - as srw points out, it happened after a very short time in the public conscience.
And so it might be because he is an outstanding research physicist rather than a telly don. I honestly don't know - I'm not qualified to judge either.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Isn't there a joke about academics arguing and hot air?

Can we get back to wild swimming please?

I love swimming in open water. However, a few years back went swimming at Blackpool beach and when I'd finished, I noticed a floating condom and a turd (think 'swimming pool scene from 'Caddy Shack', if you know that old film). Wish I'd seen those gross items before taking the swim!

Tut tut Maz, so coarse! What you encountered was a Mersey trout, it's very common off the Fylde coast.

thom

____
Isn't there a joke about academics arguing and hot air?
Can we get back to wild swimming please?

Fair enough - I mean to rejoin the Serpentine Swimming Club this year. For £20 you can swim every day of the year in the Serpentine in Hyde Park in the morning. 200 yard lengths shared with Canada geese and swans.

Top Bottom