Wild swimming with Dr Alice Roberts.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

thom

____
Ooh, how hygienic is that? I mean they must poo in the water!

Oh they do. The water is murky but the bottom is nice and soft to tread on.

You have to sign a disclaimer to join the club. But I think the danger to health was more so a problem last summer with an algal bloom. If that returns this summer then it might be an Olympic Triathlon issue.

Hygiene is always a risk, wherever you're wild swimming (although the Serpentine is not the wildest place but is about as wild as you can get in London, along with Hampstead ponds). Wiles disease (rat pee related I think) is maybe the best known nastiness. David Walliams seemed to get something from the Thames but was peeing willy-nilly to warm up his wetsuit during his sports relief swim.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Great programme. I enjoyed it so much that I ran down to the cut armed with just a towel. Then I saw the rubbish and greasy film. xx(

Would def like to give it a try but not in the buff!

Would that be a CycleChat buff ;)

once senses a CC compo in the offing...

I swam every day for six months in Lake Atitlan. In the buff. Heedless of snapping turtles. In retrospect that was probably pretty stupid.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
Oh they do. The water is murky but the bottom is nice and soft to tread on.

You have to sign a disclaimer to join the club. But I think the danger to health was more so a problem last summer with an algal bloom. If that returns this summer then it might be an Olympic Triathlon issue.

Hygiene is always a risk, wherever you're wild swimming (although the Serpentine is not the wildest place but is about as wild as you can get in London, along with Hampstead ponds). Wiles disease (rat pee related I think) is maybe the best known nastiness. David Walliams seemed to get something from the Thames but was peeing willy-nilly to warm up his wetsuit during his sports relief swim.

Do tell us who treads on your nice soft bottom.

Reactions: Maz
U

User482

once senses a CC compo in the offing...

I swam every day for six months in Lake Atitlan. In the buff. Heedless of snapping turtles. In retrospect that was probably pretty stupid.

I went swimming in the Bolivian jungle, water teeming with stingrays and piranhas. The extreme heat had caused me to lose all reason, I suspect.

Regarding tri swimming, the approach we have taken in Bristol's tri is that the swim in the harbour only goes ahead if the water meets the EU bathing directive standard. I expect they'll do the same in the Serpentine.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
STICK TO THE SUBJECT! We're discussing wild swimming and Alice Roberts!

Tsk, these bleedin' academics have minds like bleedin' butterfiles....

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
I was captivated by her enigmatic and gentle smile during the first few minutes while she swam in the heated roof pool and the camera got all close up and misty.

Must go and lie down behind the 'fridge....

Top Bottom