will ebikes drop in price and get better like a laptop or other electronics

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
COVID vaccines had the backing of virtually unlimited resources with resources actually already in place due to Ebola/Bird flu - the industruy was actually prepared for vaccine production as a case of when not if even though no one saw COVID coming and its impact.

I own an EV and even I admit the environmental 'benefits' are marginal at best, governments see the 'green' push for EVs been related to jobs/taxes as much as anything else. The numbers have to balance, and mass producing something like a Graphene cell is going to cost a whole shed load of £££££ with no guarantee of success. Especially when Lithium ion is already good enough.
Generally agree
but Lithium is not really good enough - it is OK but it is heavy, not very 'energy dense' (although better than previous stuff) and the cells degrade over time
A new type of cell that is lighter, can be charged faster and degrades far slower would be a massive gain

Graphene batteries are potentially a get out of jail free card for the technology. High energy density and quite fast recharge times, not too much longer than filling a large petrol tank.
IFF they come on line the limiting factor will be availability of power to charge the cars using them.
The bloke running the national grid says there's no issue with having all cars electric.

Isn't there several amp versions of the Bosch batteries and also NM of torque on some motors ? I remember that my wives is the basic 400amp version with lower torque but some but higher spec.

CXRAndy

Guru
And if he were to say otherwise he would very quickly be replaced by someone else who would say the right thing.

Think about it logically, if the grid was so unprepared for EV, the country would be on its knees in very short order.

Vast majority of EVs charge overnight, when demand is very low and grid loading is required to keep voltage from spiking. Lots of steady demand from batteries is desirable

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Isn't there several amp versions of the Bosch batteries and also NM of torque on some motors ? I remember that my wives is the basic 400amp version with lower torque but some but higher spec.

Currently four sizes and in three cases, 300ah, 400ah, 500ah, and 600 and something.

The 500ah is by far the most popular.

There are also several versions of motors, but there's not a lot in any of them.

The Speed motors have a few less NM of torque than the torquiest 25kmh motor, which is the CX one aimed at MTBs.

Good afternoon

There is a recent post https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/well-swagtron-is-not-great.273365/#post-6355899 that mentions Swagtron.

They are not a company that I had heard of but their web site has folding "brompton" type e-bike for 550USD, with a quoted range of 15.5 miles. They even advertising that you can buy an extra battery for increased range.

So it appears that taking the range down to what I would consider very low values is a marketing strategy in the US at least.

The logical extension of that is to sell e-bikes without a battery at all, and then offer a range of batteries because "the customer has demanded a choice of batteries"

Bye

Ian

Top Bottom