Will my bike be good enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

n33dlc

Hi, first of all I am new to this forum so Id like to say hi to everyone.

I have recently bought a commencal combi disc mountain bike. The bike was heavily discounted due to it being an 08 model and in a sale.
It has a reasonably high spec of sram, deore and roxshox components and is prettey light.
I intend to fit some road tyres to the bike to do a ride from solihull to oxford (70 miles). I have done this ride before so I know what to expect and that my bike will be ok for it.

I also intent on doing a ride from london to paris, this is approx 400km mainly on good road surfaces.

My question is,

- Is my bike going to be up for the job?

The organisers reccomend a racer bike, however I dont want to spend any more money on another bike, and if i fit some good on road tyres to my commencal then it should be ok, right?!???

If so, are there any more bits that you reccomend fitting to the bike to make life easier?

Or should I just get saving for ANOTHER expensive bike?

thanks in advance for any advice.............

Greg.

bonj2

n33dlc said:
Or should I just get saving for ANOTHER expensive bike?

yes. Or just get a cheap road bike. But definitely get a road bike.

where do you go mtbing?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Simple answer is 'no', your bike will not be ideal for the job. You could do it, but it will be more effort - mainly because you have the wrong spread of gears. The best you can do with what you have got is lock out the forks (if you can't do this then I really would reconsider), put the seat post up as high as you can to get maximum pedalling efficiency, and fit the narrowest, slickest tyres you can get. You might also consider changing the spread of the gears if you can (and it is not always possible) - smaller back rings, bigger front.

jay clock

Massive member
Assuming this 400km ride is not in one day (over 3-4 days I assume?) I disagree with those who say "no". It will be fine particularly if you have slick tyres as narrow as possible. As for gearing, I have yet to find an MTB where I can exceed the gearing's capability in top gear on a flat road.

Locking out the the front fork (if possible) will be very helpful, particularly uphill

I did L2B in 3h20 about 6 years ago on a very similar bike. You only have to do that and a bit more every day for 3 or 4 days.

Get on with it!

jimboalee

If you are in the West Midlands area, try the Warwickshire Wanderer 100km Audax on May 16th.

Go on Audax UK's website and go to the 'Calendar' pages.

It is very similar to the Solihull - Oxford ride. Burton Dasset Country Park is right in the middle. Just like the Brailes on the Sol - Oxford route.

Andrij

Über Member
Last year I did an Audax SR Series (200, 300, 400 and 600km) on a flat bar, front suspension (no lock-out) Orbea Elorrio. In total, I think I did over 5,000km on that bike in 2008.

If you're comfortable on your bike then you can do it. Putting decent (and lighter) tyres really will make a difference. I went down from 38s to 28s and it made my life much easier.

BTW, I'm now on a road bike, but still have the Elorrio (which will take over commuting / towpath duties once repaired).

OP
OP
N

n33dlc

Ok, so the general opinion is split down the middle, lol.

If I decide to buy an on road ride, what kind of bike can you guys reccomend?
it will need to be on a budget, but it will need to be good enough to justify replacing my converted mtb.
It will also need to be capable of doing this london to paris ride, clearly.

My suspension forks did lockout, however the lockout has decided to stop working, I have noticed oil seeping from the bottom, where the adjustable recon screw is.
I got the bike just before chrismas so I think I may send the forks back, I was not going to bother, but if the lockout function is as beneficial as you think I will get them sorted.

Thanks to everyone who has replied already, your help is much appreciated.

Greg

jimboalee

In this game, what it boils down to in the end is "It's not the bike, it's the engines".

Having a light bike does help, but if the engines are not tuned, the light bike is not worth a jot.

If I have to take a fortnight off, my usual bike feels like lead tubing when I start riding again. Then after a few outings of three dozen miles, it starts to feel like the bike I became used to before the break.

A MTB with slicks and locked out forks will get you to Paris in four days. That's if you train HARD.

A new or even used Roadbike will cost you, whereas five hundred miles of HARD riding costs nowt, except time and a stone of fat.

As jimbo says, worry about yourself rather than the ride. Providing you fit slicks and lockout then go for it. the main issue with long distance is the pressure it puts on your arms, wrists and bum. If you think you can cope, you probably can.

Dave5N

Über Member
I did L2P for charity a few years ago. If that's what your doing, you'll be fine.

If you are doing it wit a chain gang of hardened (and usually, embittered) Road Men. You'll do it, but a bit later.

OP
OP
N

n33dlc

HAHA I appreciate the advice guys. The ride is for charity. Does that mean there will be others people on converted mtbs?
I dont want to turn up and get laughed at and then have to sweat my balls off just to keep up with every one.

I think the ride will be difficult enough without having the wrong tool for the job. Although I am 22 and pretty fit so I should be capable of slogging it out on a MTB.

Ive posted this thread in the mountain bike forum aswell, and the difference in opionion been quite funny to see.

If I do decide to get a road bike, which one can you reccomend, and where from?

How does this government incetive thing work aswell?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
maybe stick a closer ratio cassette on the back end, fit thin slick tyres and maybe bar ends (heresy these days) so you get some different places to put your hands, mud guards and maybe think about changing the saddle - mtb ones aren't intended to be sat on all day not in the nature of mtb'ing - job done mtb converted to an ATB all terrain bicycle. then get on with riding it rather than worrying about it being the 'ideal bike'

Top Bottom