Will my bike be good enough?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
GrumpyGreg said:
maybe stick a closer ratio cassette on the back end, fit thin slick tyres and maybe bar ends (heresy these days)

+1

bar ends are a must. You need to be able to shift around a bit. If you don't your back will split in two and your spine will catch fire.

The downside of bar ends is that you can't be on them when there is the slightest chance you're going to have to brake. Which includes following another rider. And that brings me to my suggestion. Catch somebody else's back wheel and stick to it.

longers

Legendary Member
SJS do some very good - in my opinion - bar ends, I'll put a link to them later when I get chance.

longers

Legendary Member
These are the ones I recommend. It was Graham56 who got me interested in these.

I've done plenty of miles with a pair, I like them because they extend fore and aft and have a textured rubber coating.
The problem is remembering to take my hands off them for situations where I should be covering the brakes.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
n33dlc said:
okidoki, I can see why you are called grumpy greg. time to get training me thinks.

yeah, I pretty much do what it says on the can :tongue:

....and every charity ride I've ever done has been on a mountain bike in some stage of adaptation or other. (Bought my first road bike in 20 years last year and that's a tourer!) If anyone laughs at you they are clearly the sort of chap whose opinion is, frankly, worthless anyway so why care?!?

Downside of bar ends is if your bike has riser bars they do look odd and as a result of the fashion for fitting riser bars they have become unfashionable. Should that stop you using them? No. The ones recommended by longers/Graham56 are excellent btw clearly two discerning chaps!

Randochap

Senior hunter
I rode a full audax series on a converted mountain bike. Mind you, it was a relatively light (25lb) hardtail, w/o front shocks and I also installed drops. you can see it on this page.

What you're proposing is doable, but not something I'd personally want to do.

Here's my take on the ideal bike for such rides.

giantscr2.0

I did London to Paris last year. 22 riders took part on the ride, only 6 of us had road bikes.
The majority of the riders had opted for full suspension mtb's!!! I have no idea why.
The answer to your question is YES your bike will be fine. Lockout the suspension if possible, slick tyres, train hard and enjoy the ride... It is a great experience.
Remember to let us know how you get on.
Good luck.

Top Bottom