Will Shimano 105 R7000 chainset simply replace an FSA set?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DSK

I've got a new Cannondale CAAD13 which has the following setup from the factory;

Crank : Cannondale 1 BB30a, FSA 52/36.

Everything else like shifters and derailleurs are Shimano 105.

The bike is getting a Di2 conversion and I was wandering if the following Shimano 105 R7000 chainset would just simply slot in place of the current FSA ones without any messing around with adapters and or bottom brackets?

Shimano 105 R7000 chainset

Ajax Bay

Guru
No. BB30a needs a chainset with a 30mm spindle. Shimano is H2 (24mm). Can get adaptors (have not done this). Why the need for changing out the FSA?

Reactions: DSK
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

@Ajax Bay - thanks for confirming :okay: No real reason other than to keep everything Shimano.
@itboffin - I've never used adapters etc before and just want less bits and pieces etc to help prevent any potential creaks etc.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I've got a new Cannondale CAAD13
I was wandering if the following Shimano 105 R7000 chainset would just simply slot in place of the current FSA ones
. . .
No real reason other than to keep everything Shimano.
Have you considered OCD cranks?
Think you might let your new FSA chainset (well the BB30a actually) show it's not the creaking kind.

Last edited:
OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Have you considered OCD cranks?
Think you might let your new FSA chainset (well the BB30a actually) show it's not the creaking kind.

Never heard of OCD cranks.
You make a good point that I may as well use it as it is and see what's what. Good to hear it shouldn't be annoying.

The only bike I had that never creaked was the 2010 Trek Alpha, hence selling the TCR and getting a new CAAD13. Even the Propel with a new Shimano BB71 bloody clicks not even 20 miles in.

Ajax Bay

Guru
I have added quotes from you to my earlier message to ensure context to my cranks consideration.
Not saying the BB30a won't creak; just not all of them creak.

Cycling_Samurai

my CAAD12 clicks randomly and then is totally silent for hundreds of miles with no obvious reason
Lots of reasons for clicks. Many not having to do with the BB. As a CAAD12 owner I've had to find this out. A bit of clicking came from the foot peg bolts not being lubed and too tight. Extensions helped resolve issues. Currently it's as quiet as can be.

OP
OP
DSK

DSK

Appreciated!

I do try and always look at the obvious and quick wins for bottoming out any noises, so things like chains, chain rings bolts, crank bolt torques and pedals etc. The Propel was fine on its new Shimano BB71 until, I gave it beans out of the saddle and then it started clicking despite checking the obvious. I'm going to drop a Hope Tech bottom bracket in that.

The CAAD-13 I've done a few test gentle test miles on only to try and get stuff dialled in a bit and its silent so hoping it stays that way once the Di2 conversion is completed.

Cycling_Samurai

Appreciated!

I do try and always look at the obvious and quick wins for bottoming out any noises, so things like chains, chain rings bolts, crank bolt torques and pedals etc. The Propel was fine on its new Shimano BB71 until, I gave it beans out of the saddle and then it started clicking despite checking the obvious. I'm going to drop a Hope Tech bottom bracket in that.

The CAAD-13 I've done a few test gentle test miles on only to try and get stuff dialled in a bit and its silent so hoping it stays that way once the Di2 conversion is completed.
I was considering Di2. It would've been a cheaper upgrade but I don't like depending on batteries. I upped my 5800 105 to 9100 Dura Ace. Got a good deal on a set. Well just the three, Shifters, front rim brake, and front derailleur. I want to still run 32T on the rear and my rear derailleur is r7000 matching the cassette. So I still get the shadow tech at least. My upgrade has proven well worth it thus far.

Last edited:
Top Bottom