Will the new mandatory face covering laws on public transport push up bike sales still further?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I got them from a high street Boots, if they’re selling them to the general public, I’ll buy them. If you or the government have a problem with that, take it up with Boots.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I got them from a high street Boots, if they’re selling them to the general public, I’ll buy them. If you or the government have a problem with that, take it up with Boots.
I tend to agree that if the government want these restricted to key workers then there should be a mechanism by which to control the restriction. Nonetheless the advice is what it is and we can make individual decisions about personal vs social protection measures.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Boots sell type II which are non surgical grade. Not to be confused with type IIR which are fluid repellent.IIR are specified to be used in hospitals, care homes etc.
Boots and other high street retailers and eBay and Amazon aren't allowed to sell surgical grade products

screenman

Legendary Member
I have posted this before,

1591370955007.png

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Boots sell type II which are non surgical grade. Not to be confused with type IIR which are fluid repellent.IIR are specified to be used in hospitals, care homes etc.
Boots and other high street retailers and eBay and Amazon aren't allowed to sell surgical grade products
Nope.

this is them.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I have to wear one at work and it drives me crazy after hours, no way am I wearing one in my own time too.
Im the same , manual job too so they give us 2 a day but after a while the inside is wet with exhaled breath after a while .We cannot even walk across the car park without one so i have to carry on in my saddlebag and put it on as soon as i park up.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Im the same , manual job too so they give us 2 a day but after a while the inside is wet with exhaled breath after a while .We cannot even walk across the car park without one so i have to carry on in my saddlebag and put it on as soon as i park up.
That would drive me nuts.

Drago

Legendary Member
I have posted this before,

View attachment 527680
If only were that simply. The WHO have summarised the various recent studies and credible efforts at modelling, and they are saying that the wearing of a mask only reduces the chance of transmission between 3% and 11%. In the words of the WHO the reduction is "slight", whereas the wee wee analogy is probably 100%. That wee wee cartoon is laibale to encourage people into thinking they can use public transport and enter shops wearing a mask with little or no risk of transmitting the disease, which is about as far from the truth as it is possible to get.

And that is the danger. Intelligent people such as yourself are already believing that masks are highly effective and spreading that misinformation, when in actual fact they have very little chance of reducting the spread of infection.

Wear them by all means, but don't be thinking it makes you safe around others. Read up on how to wear and remove them and wash them without creating a risk of cross contamination. Just blithely donning one and blithely going about your business otherwise as normal does bugger all.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
If you own a buff for winter cycling then job done.
Quite right, it’s face coverings, not specifically masks ( yet ). Although there is a bit of ‘mission creep’ coming in, and the law is being extended to “health care environments” and the medical advisors have mentioned shops and all indoor public areas now.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
If only were that simply. The WHO have summarised the various recent studies and credible efforts at modelling, and they are saying that the wearing of a mask only reduces the chance of transmission between 3% and 11%. In the words of the WHO the reduction is "slight", whereas the wee wee analogy is probably 100%. That wee wee cartoon is laibale to encourage people into thinking they can use public transport and enter shops wearing a mask with little or no risk of transmitting the disease, which is about as far from the truth as it is possible to get.

And that is the danger. Intelligent people such as yourself are already believing that masks are highly effective and spreading that misinformation, when in actual fact they have very little chance of reducting the spread of infection.

Wear them by all means, but don't be thinking it makes you safe around others. Read up on how to wear and remove them and wash them without creating a risk of cross contamination. Just blithely donning one and blithely going about your business otherwise as normal does bugger all.
I agree, I don’t believe that masks are particularly effective. Unfortunately the law is what it is, and if I have a choice of wearing a mask which doesn’t do much, or get slapped with an 80 quid fine, I know which I choose.

Slick

Guru
Obviously I hope it does and can see it sticking with some despite the obvious challenges weather brings but I can't be alone in not being overly concerned about getting a bit wet before I get to work. I think the real explosion will come from E-Bikes, there will be some sort of extension to the Ctw scheme and if my expectations are correct, I may invest in one for myself if the incentive is good enough.

Well, it would be rude not to. ^_^

Last edited:

screenman

Legendary Member

Not highly effective, but as Brailsford would say marginal gains. I also think WHO have changed their view on this in the last couple of days.

Top Bottom