Will the new mandatory face covering laws on public transport push up bike sales still further?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The law will require you to wear face coverings on public transport, as of the 15th of June. Will this help push bike sales up even further?

dodgy

Doubt it, try buying a bike just now!

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Probably, although the sort of 6 hour train journey where a face covering would become intolerable isn't replaceable by a bike journey.

MarkF

Guru
I have to wear one at work and it drives me crazy after hours, no way am I wearing one in my own time too.

We once had a discussion at work about why asians didn't cycle, well they do now and in large numbers.:okay:

D

Deleted member 26715

Where is everybody supposed to get these masks from & how are you supposed to know they are of a quality that means they actually work? Also why from the 15th? What's happening between now &then that makes it safe before but not after, do they have a crystal ball?

vickster

Legendary Member
Where is everybody supposed to get these masks from & how are you supposed to know they are of a quality that means they actually work? Also why from the 15th? What's happening between now &then that makes it safe before but not after, do they have a crystal ball?
Make your own - they don't need to be of clinical quality - just to capture droplets if you sneeze/cough. You can use a buff or a bandana or whatever as long as mouth and nose covered

This has already been introduced on public transport in Germany

The timing is as there's an expectation use of public transport will increase as more businesses, esp. shops open from the 15th. Plenty of people already using, signs on buses etc, but will be mandatory and enforceable from the 15th. Gives time for the legislation to be made

My London-based company is expecting an increase in cycling - and is pushing the C2W in regular CEO communications (he's a cyclist I believe). Whether people can get a bike is a different matter of course

figbat

Slippery scientist
It seems that they are specifically demanding "face coverings", not "face masks".

From here:
Face coverings are not the same as face masks. It is important that people do not use medical grade PPE masks to ensure these remain available for frontline staff. Last month, the government set out advice for people on how to make their own face coverings easily at home, using scarves or other textile items. These face coverings should cover the mouth and nose while allowing the wearer to breathe comfortably and can be as simple as a scarf or bandana that ties behind the head to give a snug fit.

Sharky

Guru
My daughter & SIL were already cycling to the station, but only about a mile, then tube etc to get into London.
They are both planning on doing the whole journey by bike, about 8 miles each way when they have to go into their office, but I think they will continue working from home for a while.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
My daughter & SIL were already cycling to the station, but only about a mile, then tube etc to get into London.
They are both planning on doing the whole journey by bike, about 8 miles each way when they have to go into their office, but I think they will continue working from home for a while.

8 miles a perfect distance for a daily commute by bike. Far enough that it’s better than walking, close enough that it won’t take that long .

vickster

Legendary Member
On a nice sunny dry day maybe. Less so if the weather is rank / cold / wet and there aren't ample facilities (and with Covid people are less likely to want to use communal showers/changing rooms even if they do exist / are available). I certainly wouldn't

8 miles is far enough to get utterly soaked by rain or sweat regardless of clothing on a wet day

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
People are afraid of crowded public transport right now. Face-coverings will reduce that fear and make people more accepting of over-crowding.
Can't see that having much affect on bike sales.

There are always exceptions. On those hottest afternoons/evenings of the year, the sun-baked non-air-conditioned trains out of Waterloo are hideous. Whilst maintaining decency, I'd wear as little as possible!

There's probably a separate discussion to be had about the effectiveness of home-made face-coverings. We're not talking about medical grade masks, but ill-fitting scarfs or home-made scraps of fabric.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
I got a box of 50 from Boots earlier today. They meet the medical standards, so are okay for this sort of thing.

Top Bottom