Will the new mandatory face covering laws on public transport push up bike sales still further?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Julia9054

Guru
Absolutely, the more of the fit and healthy portion of the population that catch the virus, the better it is for those who really don't want to get it because it will make them properly sick. If the rest of us all catch it, and become immune, there wont be many carriers left so little risk of infecting the high risk groups.
Firstly, we need 85-90% of the population to be immune for herd immunity to work. Secondly, we do not yet know whether having antibodies actually makes someone immune and for how long.

Ashimoto

Been on the bus this morning and just wore my snood. No big deal tbh. My wife is asthmatic and is exempt but this morning she had 2 drivers question her. One had a very bad attitude. She produced her inhaler and box with her name on yet the one with the bad attitude said she had to have a letter from the government. What a load of crap.

Julia9054

Guru
Been on the bus this morning and just wore my snood. No big deal tbh. My wife is asthmatic and is exempt but this morning she had 2 drivers question her. One had a very bad attitude. She produced her inhaler and box with her name on yet the one with the bad attitude said she had to have a letter from the government. What a load of crap.
Asthma UK say that they are trying to negotiate how exempt people can prove it so it sounds like a method is not sorted yet. Like everything else so far, the government are making it up as they go along.

classic33

Leg End Member
Asthma UK say that they are trying to negotiate how exempt people can prove it so it sounds like a method is not sorted yet. Like everything else so far, the government are making it up as they go along.
I'd say the bus companies are making it up as they go along. Some drivers are forced to wear them, others aren't. Even though they work for the same company, just different areas.

tom73

Guru

Contact the company many have cards they send you.To show the driver you have condition most have updated them to inc one for face coverings. Contact them anyway the attitude needs questioning it's not for them to judge.

lane

Veteran
Is there any legislation on masks, what you can wear, what you can't or is it OK so long as you have made it yourself? You can wear masks that protect others but not you? Can someone point me to some legislation setting all this out? Or is it like the social distancing which has no legal basis hence loads of people don't follow it anymore.

classic33

Leg End Member
Contact the company many have cards they send you.To show the driver you have condition most have updated them to inc one for face coverings. Contact them anyway the attitude needs questioning it's not for them to judge.
Too many drivers are making judgements though. They know they can prevent you from travelling on "their" vehicle.

lane

Veteran
Firstly, we need 85-90% of the population to be immune for herd immunity to work. Secondly, we do not yet know whether having antibodies actually makes someone immune and for how long.

Well herd mmunity is unlikely to be higher than 80% and may be lower, 7% have already had it so a further 73% or 48 million with best guess min deaths 240,000 and up to 480,000. We are getting some better treatments now so that might help. Although NHS would be overwhelmed no doubt about that. On the other hand we can't go on as we are forever and people just won't. Can't honestly see too much reason for optimism and it is fairly clear both polititions have no clue and some top scientists have hardly covered themselves in glory either. I don't really think democracies are well placed to deal effectively with a serious pandemic.

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes, a large majority.

Not what the demographics show in fact they show a higher than average of English born.

Mike_P

Guru
Is there any legislation on masks, what you can wear, what you can't or is it OK so long as you have made it yourself? You can wear masks that protect others but not you? Can someone point me to some legislation setting all this out? Or is it like the social distancing which has no legal basis hence loads of people don't follow it anymore.
A comment taken off another forum;

I don’t understand why anyone should want to exploit loophole with regard to wearing a mask. Whilst it cannot stop you getting the virus it will reduce the chance of you giving it to someone else. So in one sense It becomes a mark of respect for your fellow man or woman rather than the behaviour of short sighted people who think they are free to do anything they like and damn the consequences for everyone else.
All the best

tom73

Guru
Too many drivers are making judgements though. They know they can prevent you from travelling on "their" vehicle.

I know the message is not getting out it's not hard to explain it but that would be common sense and that will never do.
It was not help by the law coving this only came out late night on Sunday.
Can see a challenge coming via the of denying goods and services route.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
So far, I’ve not had any problems with the ‘bikeflation’ issues. I’ve even still found some discounts on the kit I’ve bought. I guess if people shop around, they could still avoid issues. However, I fear that a lot of people that are new to the game, will simply go to whichever bike place, has stock, and not bother looking elsewhere / price checking, and that will lead to them paying over the odds prices.

OP
OP
Racing roadkill
Well herd mmunity is unlikely to be higher than 80% and may be lower, 7% have already had it so a further 73% or 48 million with best guess min deaths 240,000 and up to 480,000. We are getting some better treatments now so that might help. Although NHS would be overwhelmed no doubt about that. On the other hand we can't go on as we are forever and people just won't. Can't honestly see too much reason for optimism and it is fairly clear both polititions have no clue and some top scientists have hardly covered themselves in glory either. I don't really think democracies are well placed to deal effectively with a serious pandemic.
The big test, coming soon, is the emerging SARS-CoV-2 outbreak situation in Beijing. The W.H.O. have officially declared it a ‘cause for concern’, and we all know what happened when they said that about Wuhan. Here we go again then:okay:.
https://www.theguardian.com/world/l...ections-surge-in-six-us-states-latest-updates
and this doesn’t look good either.

Last edited:
A comment taken off another forum;

I don’t understand why anyone should want to exploit loophole with regard to wearing a mask. Whilst it cannot stop you getting the virus it will reduce the chance of you giving it to someone else. So in one sense It becomes a mark of respect for your fellow man or woman rather than the behaviour of short sighted people who think they are free to do anything they like and damn the consequences for everyone else.
All the best
or in other words:
"Nope, I have no idea what the answer is."
Well done.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
The one thing we don't know is how many people are actually vulnerable to it. It seems to barely affect kids and many other people are either asymptomatic or don't get it at all. I was looking after someone with it, and drove them to and from hospital (where they were on oxygen for 3 days) with no protection, but all I had was a cough for a few hours (may not have been the virus, but the timing was just right). My sister worked on a CV19 ward for two months and was the only one of the original staff that didn't get it. The virus seems to latch onto some people's DNA and not others.

Top Bottom