Will this cassette work with this bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dude7691

Hello again :smile:

I ordered a Triban 520 yesterday and I worked out that in order to go up hills with the 50/39/30 chainset and the 12-25 cassette that gives a ratio of 1.2 which is far too high for my power output level, considering I'm using to 0.75 on my MTB I'm upgrading from. I've looked up and down the spec list, but can't seem to find whether this bike has a "long derailleur" or not, which allows up to 32 teeth I think for the biggest cassette gear? I've linked the bike down below, plus the cassette I'm thinking of getting, just asking purely about compatibility here, would appreciate some answers as I don't want to have to return a cassette I don't need :biggrin:

Cheers :smile:

Link to Bike: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/triban-520-flat-bar-road-bike-sora-id_8322799.html

Link to Cassette: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Sram-Casse...+shimano&qid=1553018398&s=gateway&sr=8-3&th=1

I'd be getting the 11-32t from here ^

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
From what I have seen, the rear derailleur is a long cage version, so in theory the bigger cassette would work. But, you may find that the chain needs replacing to be a little longer to accommodate the bigger cassette.

Yup - certainly looks like a long cage rear mech in the video (33 seconds in) which will take a 32t sprocket.
Cracking bike for the money - everyone loves a Triban! ^_^

OP
OP
D

dude7691

From what I have seen, the rear derailleur is a long cage version, so in theory the bigger cassette would work. But, you may find that the chain needs replacing to be a little longer to accommodate the bigger cassette.
Yeah that's cool I was expecting to replace it anyway makes sense seeing as it has to stretch a much bigger distance, I'm sure the bike shop will have a chain it's like the most frequently replaced item on a bike :biggrin: Thank you very much for getting back to me so quickly, will order that now :smile:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Yup - certainly looks like a long cage rear mech in the video (33 seconds in) which will take a 32t sprocket.
Cracking bike for the money - everyone loves a Triban! ^_^
Brilliant, thank you for taking your time to watch that video I should have thought of that :biggrin:
Honestly feels like I've stolen one :biggrin: A shade under 10kg and the lifetime guarantee on that frame with the carbon forks and proper road tyres will be a huge upgrade from my 15kg hefty mountain bike which is less than ideal for the roads :biggrin:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Give it a go with the current gearing first. You may find that 30x25 on the thinner tyres and lighter, stiffer bike is actually ok
The bike is coming tomorrow so yeah I'll see if I can give it a quick ride but honestly having to put out 50-60% more power for the same cadence as my MTB terrifies me, if it does work out though then all the better save some $ :smile:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Just wondering why mess with mail order if buying from Decathlon? They do a fine 11-32 cheap, the SunRace stuff is a lot better than it used to be when they just churned out TY15 copies, had some Sunrace M90 shifters for about 8 years never missed a beat

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/11x32-9-speed-bike-cassette-id_8298767.html
Thank you for the suggestion, that actually looks pretty good just a shame I can't get it online I live in West Wales and there's no decathlon stores nearby so unfortunately the fact you can't order it online is a shame :sad: The amazon one looks alright to me :smile: No questioning at all of the Sunrace quality it's just the ratios are too high for me, I only develop around 700-800W (never been measured just an informed guess from calculators) peak and can only maintain 250-300W at 55kg for 5-10 minutes, so I need a slightly lower gear just incase, better to have it and not need it than run out of gears on a busy main road I suppose :smile:

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dude7691

This SRAM 11-32 cassette is cheaper at £17.99 with free post too.
I've already ordered the amazon one now :smile: Promotional offer got £5 off so was £20 all in all and next day delivery which is ideal :smile: Can always send it back if I don't end up needing it if the 12-25 is good enough but I just don't think I've got the strength in me to hold the power output at 1.2 ratio on 15-20% hills

OP
OP
D

dude7691

I've an 11-28 on my Triban 500 (with microshift not Sora). I doubt I need the range but as per the Ballad of Tom Jones, I 'don't come from Wales' :okay:
Hahaha yeah the 11-28 is probably a great set if you're not going up more than 8-10% on a regular basis and if you've got strong legs a 28 might be great for you :smile: I'm planning a charity ride to Scotland in July though so honestly I'd rather have that 32 and just have it there incase I hit something more than what I'm used to, but I'll do everything in my power to not shift below the 28 unless I'm actually going to faint :biggrin:

OP
OP
D

dude7691

Then pedal more slowly and you will not be putting out more power.
I do agree with this but I am a high cadence rider and don't have the best knees in the world so try to avoid placing excess torque forces on them. 90 RPM is my preferred cadence but with a 1.2 gear ratio at the same output I'd be getting like 60-65RPM, not for me :sad:

Top Bottom