will tyre fit my rims

MartinC

Über Member
Location
Cheltenham
Somewhere on your rims it will give and ERTRO size for the rim - you want it to be 622- something to match the ERTRO reference on the tyre (622-28). The 622 is the bead diameter of the tyre and rim in mm.
 
OP
C

chigman

Active Member
Location
Essex
MartinC said:
Somewhere on your rims it will give and ERTRO size for the rim - you want it to be 622- something to match the ERTRO reference on the tyre (622-28). The 622 is the bead diameter of the tyre and rim in mm.
Hi Martin- Thanks for quick reply. The number on the rims is 622-19. Hope that helps.

Steve
 
OP
C

chigman

Active Member
Location
Essex
HLaB said:
What tyres have you got at the moment? all I can find on the Alex web site is EN24 (MTB) and EN24 (29ER/DISC), if its the latter you've got a which is a 622 diameter and 19mm wide rim so according to Sheldon, it'll take the 28mm tyre.

Edit: you've already answered the question, it is the latter ;-)
Hi

They are just listed as Alex EN24 V-Brake on my Cube hybrid bike. I couldn't find them on their website either.

Steve
 

MartinC

Über Member
Location
Cheltenham
622-19 means it's the right diameter with an internal rim width of 19mm. A 28mm tyre will just about be wide enough for this rim, a 32mm or 35mm would be better IMO so that the inflated tyre has a better profile. I'd prefer 28mm tyres on rim widths 13-17mm.
 
MartinC said:
622-19 means it's the right diameter with an internal rim width of 19mm. A 28mm tyre will just about be wide enough for this rim, a 32mm or 35mm would be better IMO so that the inflated tyre has a better profile. I'd prefer 28mm tyres on rim widths 13-17mm.
Yip, according to Sheldon it the minimum he would recommend but he does say his recommendations are conservative the OP will be OK :-)
 

MartinC

Über Member
Location
Cheltenham
HLaB said:
Yip, according to Sheldon it the minimum he would recommend but he does say his recommendations are conservative the OP will be OK :-)
Yes, it won't cause any problems but the ride may be a bit harsh if the side walls aren't bowed enough. It does depend on the tyre - they have different profiles. I've ridden Conti Supersport 28's on 19mm rims before and it was OK but they had fairly round cross sections, some tyres don't.
 
OP
C

chigman

Active Member
Location
Essex
The 32's turned up today and are now fitted. Will give them a blast tomorrow to see how they stand up.:sad:

steve
 
Top Bottom