will tyre fit my rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MartinC

Über Member
Somewhere on your rims it will give and ERTRO size for the rim - you want it to be 622- something to match the ERTRO reference on the tyre (622-28). The 622 is the bead diameter of the tyre and rim in mm.

OP
OP
C

chigman

MartinC said:
Somewhere on your rims it will give and ERTRO size for the rim - you want it to be 622- something to match the ERTRO reference on the tyre (622-28). The 622 is the bead diameter of the tyre and rim in mm.

Hi Martin- Thanks for quick reply. The number on the rims is 622-19. Hope that helps.

Steve

OP
OP
C

chigman

HLaB said:
What tyres have you got at the moment? all I can find on the Alex web site is EN24 (MTB) and EN24 (29ER/DISC), if its the latter you've got a which is a 622 diameter and 19mm wide rim so according to Sheldon, it'll take the 28mm tyre.

Edit: you've already answered the question, it is the latter ;-)

Hi

They are just listed as Alex EN24 V-Brake on my Cube hybrid bike. I couldn't find them on their website either.

Steve

MartinC

Über Member
622-19 means it's the right diameter with an internal rim width of 19mm. A 28mm tyre will just about be wide enough for this rim, a 32mm or 35mm would be better IMO so that the inflated tyre has a better profile. I'd prefer 28mm tyres on rim widths 13-17mm.

MartinC said:
622-19 means it's the right diameter with an internal rim width of 19mm. A 28mm tyre will just about be wide enough for this rim, a 32mm or 35mm would be better IMO so that the inflated tyre has a better profile. I'd prefer 28mm tyres on rim widths 13-17mm.
Yip, according to Sheldon it the minimum he would recommend but he does say his recommendations are conservative the OP will be OK :-)

MartinC

Über Member
HLaB said:
Yip, according to Sheldon it the minimum he would recommend but he does say his recommendations are conservative the OP will be OK :-)

Yes, it won't cause any problems but the ride may be a bit harsh if the side walls aren't bowed enough. It does depend on the tyre - they have different profiles. I've ridden Conti Supersport 28's on 19mm rims before and it was OK but they had fairly round cross sections, some tyres don't.

OP
OP
C

chigman

The 32's turned up today and are now fitted. Will give them a blast tomorrow to see how they stand up.:sad:

steve

Top Bottom