Will you be cycling in the dark?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As a non commuter cyclist i'll try to do my bike miles in as many daytime hours as possible, but i wont always have the time to do so due to work commitments so i'll be going out in the dark. I don't mind, i think that by wearing decent high viz, and having good lights,( though i might get some "see and not just be seen" ones)you are as safe if not safer than cycling in daytime. So with the dark nights approaching, will you be cycling in the dark, and how do you rate it? Not just the safety point of view but also for other reasons maybe?

DRHysted

Guru
I've been cycling in the dark for a few weeks now. Main difference is not being able to see the potholes, so mostly doing it by memory.
Car wise the rare ones leave plenty of room as normal.

Blue

Legendary Member
I wouldn't even consider cycling in the dark. However, being retired, I have the luxury of never needing to consider doing so!

To all that do cycle in the dark - stay safe out there this, and every, winter.

subaqua

What’s the point
high viz isn't great under most streetlighting, although as SOX lamps are replaced with whiter SON or Metal Halides then this should improve.
am more concerned about the dark this year as i use the towpath route from Stratford to Limehouse and its not lit at all. might have to spend some money on a good seeing light

Simply take care and you will be fine.

The only real issues are the ones above with potholes, glass etc - so make sure you are equipped for the occasional catastrophic annular suspension device deflation

Also bear in mind that as the nights draw in the weather will also start to deteriorate, so be prepared for ice wind and slippery surfaces.

As to lights, I use two sets, the first is a stanard BS6102/3 front light which makes me legal then an ultrabright MagicShine as my "backup". Same with the back, a BS6102/3 for legality and a pair of Dinottes for backup

Just did a 90 miler overnight Leeds/Scarborough, loved the midnight black conditions, dark country lanes and travelling through Dalby Forest in the pitch black was wonderful!

Commuting in the dark is ok by me, multiple lights in case of failure and a slightly higher state of awareness see me fine.

Kiwiavenger

im a little tea pot
I will need more lights before the darkness descends!!! i have a bright cateye front but has a narrow is main beam (lots of spill though) and a dodgy cheap flasher which is broken. i also have 3 on the back, one helmet flasher, 1 solid on the seat post and one flasher on the seat stay.

the darkness doesnt bother me really

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Night riding? A hoot. On road, off road? Yes please. Solo or in a small group or as part of something much much bigger? But of course.

Commuting in the dark. I do it. But I (often) hate (bits of) it. It's a rush hour thing. The fear as you hear the distant engine noise behind you in the dark, the crossed fingers that they will come around the bend behind you at 60mph with enough room to pass without taking you out, etc., etc.. The certain knowledge that, no matter how many lights, no matter how many reflectives, no matter what you wear, if they aren't looking they won't see you, and knowing that they generally aren't expecting to come across someone travelling 40mph slower than them on that blind bend.

Top Bottom