Will you be cycling in the dark?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
No-one seems to have mentioned the Hope Vision 1 yet....
Yes, it's not as powerful as some of the lights already mentioned. Beam pattern isn't as wide. And so on. But they don't cost £70, and don't last all night on a set of four decent AA rechargeables. The V1 can be easily angled and set up so that you can see properly without blinding drivers, and it's perfectly good for going down dark country lanes at 25 mph.

Peowpeowpeowlasers

You don't? They are really horrible for pedestrians too. You don't need exceptionally bright lights in urban settings. What you need is reasonably bright, reliable lights, that hopefully have a brighter setting for when you are out in the sticks. I use Fenix LED torches, because I love their simplicity and portability, and the fact that they have variable power settiings. And they are only about £40. Their only disadvantage is that there's no warning before the battery goes, so if I'm on a lengthy night ride I have two mounted on the bars.

No, I don't. Compare one of those bright lights with a typical car headlamp, not on full beam. The car headlamp is just as blinding, it may not cause you pain but once it has passed your eyes take a few seconds to recover their sensitivity. Except where a car can trundle over most bumps without issue, a cyclist cannot.

As for pedestrians, if I'm in close proximity I always cover the top of the light. Same with cyclists on narrow country lanes.

It'll only become more difficult to see cyclists as DRM lights on cars become the norm, so I'll always opt for the brightest little bastard I can buy.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Hope Vision 1 is about as good as it gets for AA powered....
But utterly blown away by the latest generation of 18650 powered lights with Cree XML-T6 emitters.

Linked elsewhere too, but this one for example. Not far off half the price of the Hope, four times the Lumens (so twice the "throw" down the road), similar endurance.

wisdom

Guru
Same lights as tadpole for me.
The crees are excellent i have one flashing and one fixed and focussed at the right distance.
My commute both ways will be in darkness around november but i still enjoy it.
Altura night vision jacket and pants are good.I have been told they really show up by people i work with

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
I think one is most at risk in slow moving city traffic in the dark... no matter how many front or rear lights you've got, they can easily be lost in the myriad of brighter motor vehicle lights. As long as you're fully aware how invisible you can be and don't assume they've seen you, you should be OK. In certain situations I make no qualms to opt for the pavement if need be.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
No, I don't. Compare one of those bright lights with a typical car headlamp, not on full beam. The car headlamp is just as blinding, it may not cause you pain but once it has passed your eyes take a few seconds to recover their sensitivity. Except where a car can trundle over most bumps without issue, a cyclist cannot.

As for pedestrians, if I'm in close proximity I always cover the top of the light. Same with cyclists on narrow country lanes.

It'll only become more difficult to see cyclists as DRM lights on cars become the norm, so I'll always opt for the brightest little bastard I can buy.

Car headlamps are far too bright as well - I agree on that score. I'm not sure that an arms-race in lumens is the answer. I've only just noticed the significance of your username :smile:.

Glow worm

Legendary Member
Car headlamps are far too bright as well - I agree on that score. .

Are they getting brighter over time or am I imagining it?! I have also noticed a small minority of drivers who refuse to switch their full beam off for me when I'm cycling despite my bright lights.

I do loads of riding at night and when I'm off the roads (farm tracks and the like), at risk of being barred for life from 'Commuting' , I switch my lights off completely and enjoy the darkness. ^_^

HovR

Über Member
I have also noticed a small minority of drivers who refuse to switch their full beam off for me when I'm cycling despite my bright lights.

If that happens, I'll tilt my light so as to angle it towards their windscreen. If they still don't dip, then I'll switch to high power. Still not dipped? High power strobe usually does the trick. :smile:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
If that happens, I'll tilt my light so as to angle it towards their windscreen. If they still don't dip, then I'll switch to high power. Still not dipped? High power strobe usually does the trick. :smile:
I usually hold my hand up blocking the light from the car. It usually works. I imagine the car driver thinks something like..."Whats that numpty cyclist doing with his hand.....oh.....dip"
and if it doesnt work at least I can see as my retina haven't been blasted away.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Hope Vision 1 is about as good as it gets for AA powered....
But utterly blown away by the latest generation of 18650 powered lights with Cree XML-T6 emitters.

Linked elsewhere too, but this one for example. Not far off half the price of the Hope, four times the Lumens (so twice the "throw" down the road), similar endurance.

There are loads of us on here using the Hope Vision 1's for commuting - I use 2, run on power level 2, or flashing in dull conditions. AA batteries are the main plus side for me as I can carry 1 spare set, and recharge them either at home or work with a smart charger. I've even adapted my Magicshine rears to run of two 6 cell AA packs.

I also have a Magicshine 808E for the MTB when I use the Trans Pennine to get to work - I've fitted some black tape over the upper quarter to reduce glare when on roads. It's just a bit brighter than the two Hopes on full.

Nothing better than a bit of off roading in the dark (or make that 'light' actually).

PpPete

Legendary Member
Don't get me wrong - I'm a big fan of the Hope Vision 1, we have two, and I have lot more faith in them than in any chinese made torch however reputable the manufacturer or dealer.
Wife uses one Hope for commuting, both for long night sections on audax.
But "bang for buck" or "bang for ounce" they are no longer at the top of the pile.

D

Deleted member 1258

Winters coming I will be commuting in the dark, same as I've been winter commuting in the dark over more than 30 years, its nothing to get excited about its just part of life's routine and part of the rhythm of the seasons.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I started commuting last year ... in October, crazy me! Even then, when i had zil cycling experience, the dark never bothered me.
I must have done the light thing right, because I got told my bike looked like a Christmas tree in motion :laugh:

In the middle of summer I often ride in the dark to avoid the +100f summer heat. Also my work schedule during the week means I don't get home 'til late.

Like last night it was a bearable 89f when I went out at 9pm.

Top Bottom