Wimbledon starts today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Very Old Thread revival alert!

Ten years on,anyone watched the first day....beside me?🤔 :rolleyes:

:becool:
1624926562290.png

:becool:
1624926455154.png

I'd love to see these two in the chaps final!!🧐

Last edited:

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It's just posh ping pong innit! 😁

I'm vetoing it while I watch the cycling/footy. Shame, as Wimbledon is a great event, and I rate tennis as one of the best TV sports.
I would also watch the Lions Rugby tour if this was winter and I needed an excuse to be inside.

(whereas ping-pong is my favourite ball-game, but rubbish on the telly. @Oldhippy !)

Brandane

Legendary Member
Looks like GB might have a new tennis star in the shape of 18 year old Emma Raducanu. Looked very impressive there, going through to the 3rd round :bravo:.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Apparently Murray has a metal hip.

That's cheating, surely?

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
... and now the 4th round. And absolutely loving it, so good to see - none of the negativity of Bristish media pressure yet! 👍
As we know the pressure at Wimbledon ultimately got to her.
But she’s stormed into the semi finals in US open as a qualifier.
Even if she loses she picks up a cheque for $675,000.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
As we know the pressure at Wimbledon ultimately got to her.
But she’s stormed into the semi finals in US open as a qualifier.
Even if she loses she picks up a cheque for $675,000.
That is a LOT of money for an 18-year-old.

I remember and interview with Boris Becker, another child prodogy on the tennis courts, and one who had earned more than most in their lifetime before he was old enough to drive.

My first car was a VW Polo. His? Porsche 959. That's right, the twin turbo-charged, water cooled, 4-wheel-drive with electronically controlled front/rear torque distribution super-car, not just any Porsche.

vickster

Legendary Member
I guess her family have had a lot of expenses over the years.

good luck to her, what an amazing experience at 18

She went to my old school, as did Dina Asher-Smith… I was certainly no athletic prodigy though :laugh:

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I guess her family have had a lot of expenses over the years.

good luck to her, what an amazing experience at 18

She went to my old school, as did Dina Asher-Smith… I was certainly no athletic prodigy though :laugh:
I went to the same school as Gary Lineker and Emile Heskey. Sadly it didn't rub off, and I'm pretty useless at football.

Fair play to her. She is not only immensely talented and dedicated, but intelligent and focused. As with any sport, it is only a small number at the top that make any sensible money out of it, and it makes only a very few very rich. I hope she continues to shine in the world of tennis.

Top Bottom