Wimbledon starts today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
With all the excitement going on in Westminster I’ve missed the result of the day at Wimbledon.
Well done Cameron Norrie.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
With all the excitement going on in Westminster I’ve missed the result of the day at Wimbledon.
Well done Cameron Norrie.

Can't see him beating Djokovic though, but you never know. Nadal withdrew so Kyrgios will be straight through to the final with the advantage of an extra rest day.

AndyRM

XOXO
Might as well revive this after what's been a brilliant Wimbledon 2023!

I've not been following tennis closely lately, but it does seem like there's a new generation in both the men's and women's game. That Alcarez chap is something else! Expected him to be demolished after the first set, but he got wise to Djoko's nonsense.

Because I'm a nerd I was counting the number of times they bounced the ball on serve: Alcarez - 5, Djoko between 14 and 18, and you could see he was fluffing his first serve so he wouldn't be timed on the second. Complaining about the wind was pathetic too.

Ladies was interesting too. I like Vondrousova, and it was interesting to read how popular tennis is in the Czech Republic, which I had no idea about.

Wheelchair tennis was mint too, the skill involved there is next level.

Missed most of this year's tournament, but watched some of the Singles FInals; the mens was absolute dynamite!

@AndyRM do you know why Jok wasn't penalised despite getting two warnings? They were for different things - time on the serve, then equipment-tantrum later on. So maybe that's the get-out, but I don't know the rules, and IMO he was a lucky boy. Showed a lot of petulant dissent to the Ump generally too.

Anyway, a worthy winner, and an intriguing contest with some stunning rallies :notworthy:

What a great game of tennis that was.
When Djokovic won the first set 6-1i thought this isn't going to last long but what a comeback from Alcaraz.
At the end of the final set I was literally shouting at the tv 📺 wanting the Spaniard to win.

AndyRM

XOXO
Missed most of this year's tournament, but watched some of the Singles FInals; the mens was absolute dynamite!

@AndyRM do you know why Jok wasn't penalised despite getting two warnings? They were for different things - time on the serve, then equipment-tantrum later on. So maybe that's the get-out, but I don't know the rules, and IMO he was a lucky boy. Showed a lot of petulant dissent to the Ump generally too.

Anyway, a worthy winner, and an intriguing contest with some stunning rallies :notworthy:

Yeah, I'd gathered that. He should have been warned way more than once for his timing keeping though, it was worse than Nadal and his sock adjustments.

I hope he gets hammered for the racket smash. Actually damaging the court equipment is pretty serious. It made me laugh when he gave his racquet to the guy in the yellow jacket who'd been waving his wee Serbian flag all match.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
What a great game of tennis that was.

I'm in no position to say otherwise, but as a spectator the spectacle was far too long for me.

The Sun's tennis hack described it as 'a real bladder and laptop battery tester'.

I can imagine the stress, you are filing live copy on a great match to the web while busting for a wee and watching the laptop move ever closer to conking out.

Top Bottom