Wind Speed Warning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Does anyone have a rule regarding wind speed when deciding when to cycle? I have been thinking this for a while but never thought of asking on here :wacko:

I find nowadays I am always checking the weather, mainly for temp and humidity (especially when running and doing canicross with the dog) however, due to cycling in nearly 30mph winds and regretting it - I instantly get nervous if I see the wind speed anything over 20mph.

Although I am medium weight I guess (around 13st I estimate....the scales and I don't talk:shy:!) and my Allez is around 9kg, I feel it especially around corners. I am not sure now whether it's just a stupid mental thing I have created or if I should just get on with it :cursing:

Your own experiences please? and be kind :wub:

For me depends on the direction, I do a one way 25 mile commute at the moment , ie in from the east one day, back to the east the other, train in-between. Today I saw speeds up to 40mph for the journey home and was disapointed to see they went down to 20mph after 15:00, could have given some Strava PB's a good beating. If it had been a 20mph or above headwind or crosswind I would have caught the train. ( NB I am fairly small, 11 stone ish).

It takes a lot to put me off my cycle commute.

If the wind is going to be against or with me then 55 mph is my cut off.

With a crosswind then I’ll think twice if the wind is above 45 mph.

I’m heavier than the OP at 15 stone.

I would point out that I commute on very quiet country roads in the main, but am always aware of possible problems in strong winds. For instance, if the wind is coming from the left and I know there is a gateway or gap in the hedge coming up, if I know a car is coming up behind me (I have a bar-end mirror) I’ll pull over and wait until they’ve passed me before I cycle past the gap just in case I get blown out into the road. It doesn’t do your average speed much good, but Strava isn’t worth dying for.

I did have a tree fall on me last winter in a storm though! That’s why you should always wear a helmet. :whistle:

Alan O

Über Member
I start getting cautious when winds get into the 15-20mph range, and will almost certainly avoid anything stronger than that. And it's not just the wind speed and direction, but how gusty it is - crosswind gusts can be dangerous.

I'll add that I don't commute, so I don't have any pressure there.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
I start getting cautious when winds get into the15-20mph range, and will almost certainly avoid anything stronger than that. And it's not just the wind speed and direction, but how gusty it is - crosswind gusts can be dangerous.

I'll add that I don't commute, so I don't have any pressure there.

Exactly! It's the crosswinds as I swoop round a corner that scare me! I think today I will go running and cycle tomorrow as the wind speed apparently is no higher than 17mph :bicycle:

iandg

Legendary Member
I draw the line at gusts above 40mph when I head out on the road. Head wind/tail wind not so bad, it's the sudden side winds that can take you across the road that are the issue.

I'm just under 13 stone

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Its the gustiness that worries me. Wind isnt too bad today, but still some unoredictable strong gusts (and not just in my Y fronts) so my ride postponed, and don't want to end up under a lorry.

OP
OP
Lavender Rose

Lavender Rose

Specialized Fan Girl
Its the gustiness that worries me. Wind isnt too bad today, but still some unoredictable strong gusts (and not just in my Y fronts) so my ride postponed, and don't want to end up under a lorry.

I agree, better to be safe than sorry - especially as people's driving gets worse as the weather gets worse! At least I will get a run in today :wub::hyper:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I generally call off if the winds are consistently above 50-55mph.

With Storm Ali on Wednesday I was expecting to take the car but locally the wind wasn't too bad so I rode in. It was probably a 20mph tailwind most of the way for me but felt like a 40mph headwind on the way home. There were no real heavy gusts to speak of so I guess I was just lucky with my timing on both trips as there were some ferocious winds outwith those times.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I cycle for enjoyment and the enjoyment ceases above about 20mph

Problem is that's the official forecast speed. Get above 1000ft up and it's a lot stronger. Climbing into a 40mph headwind is not my idea of enjoyment

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For my commute, strong winds have never stopped me riding, however for leisure rides when it's blowing a gale, it's not nice and not worth the effort and pain.

Last edited:
Top Bottom