Wind Speed Warning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
An extra weights session for me instead. The dreaded leg day :sad:

Is that you getting out of bed.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I am not a heavyweight, and where I live is semi rural and a number of fields with few or no hedges. So crosswinds are my biggest concern.
Wednesday afternoon was a scary one. Although the headwind in one wind funnel reduced me to 6mph, I had about 1 1/2 miles of being hit side on with no windbreak, into traffic on a 50 mph road. I breathed a big sigh of relief when I reached a hedged section.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
It is hard in wind. I just reset my mind to think of it as a training stress increase that will benefit me further down the road. Rhetorically speaking.

I do ride through lots of woodland terrain and sticks being sucked up the wheel is expensive and dangerous. I have had the pleasure of scraping up a mate who nose dived 1km before the Arrivée of an Audax we did on Dartmoor. In the dry spell I was almost flattened by a falling branch. My daughter was on the back of my bike.

I also find it difficult on my tri bars in cross winds. So unstable.

You should try touring with 4 panniers in a Dutch wind. That’s Saturday night rodeo stuff.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Riding from Oxford to Cambridge on Sunday, in the rain but looks like I will have a decent tailwind all the way ^_^

I don't generally mind the wind, I'll slow down a bit, allow more journey time & use the shared use pavements a bit more than usual.

Reactions: mjr

humboldt

I feel slightly safer on my newer, heavier steel bike than my old alu hybrid which was much lighter and twitchier. I weigh less than 10 stone and a strong crosswind could put me clean into the wrong lane if I didn't start correcting immediately.

Sixmile

Veteran
This has been a concern for me for the upcoming weekend. I've registered for the Great Dublin Bike Ride on Sunday and the wind was showing to be 45-50mph. I've been checking the weather religiously all week and now see that the wind is now expected to be around 18mph but with very heavy rain. I can cope with rain, wind is something you can't really dress for.

Commuting or utility cycling, I've ridden in most conditions. Riding in the city in high winds when you get hit by a gust out of the shelter of a building can be hairy.

Leisure cycling I tend not to go out above 20mph.

I actually prefer wind to rain, the two together can either be, horrendous or a strangely gruelling but enjoyable experience but only when you've finished!

si_c

Guru
Very little will deter me from my commute, like @ianrauk, the wind hasn't dropped much below 25mph all week, and this morning was gusting up to 30ish mph as a crosswind. I've ridden in much worse however, so I'm confident that I can ride in those conditions safely.

Top Bottom