Wind Speed Warning?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
I've been OK commuting all week. It takes a lot to blow an On-One Inbred over.

The Virtue however, is deadly in the wind and takes a lot more care.

How these roadies manage on their feather-light bikes I'll never know

I once rode my old GT Avalanche across a mountain road near me - in gale force winds. I had to bank into the wind that far over, that my left foot was hitting the floor as I pedaled

lane

Veteran
I read a scientific article once that concluded what we all know, that most winds are "againsterly". Unless the wind is right smack bang behind you then its going to be hindering your progress. Unless it is a mega crosswind blowing you across the road, most winds will be perceived as headwinds. Something like that.

That was my conclusion being out earlier this week. With the wind directly behind me I hardly needed to pedal but as soon as the road turned very slightly and the wind was no longer directly behind me I seemed to lose all the benefit.

MrGrumpy

Huge Member
It has to be seriously gusty to stop me cycling however, if the road bridge is closed then take that as sign that ts probably safer not to cycle !! Seems alot of brave souls in this post whom will cycle whatever the weather. You take your chances...........

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Never really bothered me commuting. Had some right fun/challenges though. Climbing over and through fallen trees, hanging on for dear life as bike was 45 degrees to the road, folk at bus stop saying 'good luck'. Commute wasn't especially exposed though.

I've done a sportive in horrendous wind - Axe edge was a right challenge, even with low profile rims - those on deep sections had to abandon.

If the front of the bike gets pulled out from under me, it’s too windy.

Aravis

Putrid Donut
Once upon a time my commute was Chepstow to Bristol, over the Severn Bridge. Before the new bridge opened, the threshold for closing the original bridge to all traffic due to wind conditions was very high. Indeed, the first time it happened was in 1986, 20 years after opening. On such days you wouldn't want to be out there under any circumstances.

Once the new bridge was in place, for many years the original would routinely be closed in conditions that would previously have prompted a closure to high-sided vehicles only, in the mistaken belief that the new bridge was an acceptable alternative. I think the threshold was a certain number of gusts above 40 knots, or a single gust over a higher limit. To be reopened there had to be a set period without a gust over 30 knots.

You might think that by the time they'd actually closed the bridge, any supposed danger could well have passed, and you'd be right!

Fortunately, the police had jurisdiction over the main carriageways only, not the cycle tracks. So frequently, barring a long drive or an awkward train journey, my only practical option was to cycle over the closed bridge, and I did so many times.

Where I am cycling influences me and the wind direction gustiness etc. I cycled in an enclosed Scottish Glen when it was 80mph winds with gusts over 120mph and came back on a more open road with a nice direct tailwind (If it'd been a side wind I wouldn't have). I've also cycled down old railway cycle paths when its been 45-50mph winds with 60-80mph gusts. But I wouldn't cycle over the Forth Road Bridge in gusts over 30mph.

Reactions: mjr

lane

Veteran
So there you have it - don't cycle if winds are over 20mph or it's OK with winds of 120mph. An interesting thread but perhaps not very helpful for those looking for some clear guidance!

Top Bottom