Window Cleaning Poles

• Thread starter Deleted member 26715
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Some of the prices i'm hearing here are too high! No wonder I was popular with my fiver a house prices.
As for those poles,if they aren't water fed then don't bother. I bought one about 18 months ago. I only used it a few times,due to how long it took me to clean my upstairs flat's windows. You have to make three changes for every window. First the squeegee/washer thing,then the blade to scrape the water off and then the scrim cloth to stop any runs or blade marks, Yes,if it's a cold damp day you could get away with doing a few windows at a time with the squeegee then the blade and then the scrim,but if it's dry warm day then you'll only be able to do one maybe two windows before you have to swap what's on top of the pole. This swapping and changing makes a 15 minute job with ladders take 40 minutes with a non water fed pole. I gave up and asked a window cleaner I know to do mine. He has a water fed pole and it takes him about 12 to 15 minutes to do my 5 windows. He charges me a fiver for a once a month clean.

pawl

Legendary Member
Anyone tried them, do they work? Ones like these off of Fleecebay Ebay Link I know in town they use ones with jiggle valves in or low pressure pumps in the back of vans. Our upstairs windows are awkward to get to as they are above a porch/bay window so this looks like a solution.

My widow cleaner is English.Oops think I’ve got if wrong.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

Doesn't everyone have windows that turn to let you wash them from the inside?
We had those on the back of the house but have just changed them for normal windows as the seals started to leak which allows water into the house.

For water fed poles deionised water is recommended.
I did wonder about that as we live in a hard water area, I wondered also why the profesional kits are nearly £1k but if they are pumps & di-ionser units that explains it.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Yes but you need to use Pure Water or you will have dirty windows with tap water.
I'm not convinced with the deionised water cleaning... I had a guy who uses that method but the windows didn't look any cleaner after he'd cleaned them. Plus he eventually proved unreliable (and frustratingly dim) so i sacked him.

There's a bloke who uses ladder and detergent but he's utterly unreliable... says he'll clean them but seldom did. I think he only wants to do the middle class houses across the road... as if their money is better than mine.

Other local cleaners can't/won't do my road because their ladders aren't long enough... so I'm currently stuck with mucky windows.

OP
OP
D

Deleted member 26715

My widow cleaner is English.Oops think I’ve got if wrong.
Is that a job, going around cleaning widows? seems a bit sexist to me, who cleans the widowers?

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
I once watched my window cleaner pretend to clean my windows . He went all over them pretending to wipe them down with a rag but the rag never touched the glass . The wonders of net curtains :laugh:

Globalti

Legendary Member
Are we talking about Poles or poles here?

With the latter it doesnt matter what kind of water you use, if you dont dry the glass with a clean rag or a blade it will leave drying marks.

Insides are best cleaned with a spray wax polish to get them absolutely spotless and the wax lets the cloth glide with much less effort next time you clean.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
We had those on the back of the house but have just changed them for normal windows as the seals started to leak which allows water into the house.

I did wonder about that as we live in a hard water area, I wondered also why the profesional kits are nearly £1k but if they are pumps & di-ionser units that explains it.
If ordinary tap water is used instead,it leaves streaks andwater marks,but I've seen windows cleaned with deionised water and they looked streaky. As I said earlier,the lad who cleans mine uses a water fed pole, but i'd prefer it if he used the old fashioned ladder and bucket method as when on the ground you can't fully see what's on the windows and their frames.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
I’ve cleaned my conservatory windows with a water fed pole cleaner for many years and it works ok. But the additional weight of the water running along the length of the pole makes the pole a bit difficult to wield when cleaning along the ridge.

The window cleaners who cleaned our house windows (excluding the conservatory and garage) used to charge £18 every 6 weeks which I thought was a bit steep and so we stopped using them.

Top Bottom